Reply

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

justcrash
Aspirant

WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

Has anyone seen this? It usually happens once a day. I have to cycle power on the device and it is then fine for another day. It affects wired and wireless devices. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

you are not running torrents are you?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]





June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 22
jlewter
Guide

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

justcrash wrote:
Has anyone seen this? It usually happens once a day. I have to cycle power on the device and it is then fine for another day. It affects wired and wireless devices. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy


Can you access the router setup pages when it's off of the Internet?

If yes, Does going into "Router Status", Clicking the "Connection Status" button at the bottom of that webpage, then clicking "Renew" fix the problem?..
Message 3 of 22
silentz
Novice

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

I'm having the same issue. My network seems to be dead after a day of inactivity. This applies to my wired and wireless devices. My Xbox 360 which is wired will have no connection to Live and my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop will have limited connectivity. I've tried power cycling both devices and this does not resolve the issue which isolates it to the WNDR3700. Power cycling the WNDR3700 is the only way to fix the issue.

To answer the questions above: No I'm not able to reach the router config pages during this time and no I am not downloading torrents.

Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.4.68NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.42
Message 4 of 22
justcrash
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

jmizoguchi wrote:
you are not running torrents are you?


No sir. Did not get a notification of a reply, sorry for the delayed response.
Message 5 of 22
justcrash
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

jlewter wrote:
Can you access the router setup pages when it's off of the Internet?

If yes, Does going into "Router Status", Clicking the "Connection Status" button at the bottom of that webpage, then clicking "Renew" fix the problem?..


I will check next time. If it does, what does that mean?
Message 6 of 22
justcrash
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

silentz wrote:
I'm having the same issue. My network seems to be dead after a day of inactivity. This applies to my wired and wireless devices. My Xbox 360 which is wired will have no connection to Live and my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop will have limited connectivity. I've tried power cycling both devices and this does not resolve the issue which isolates it to the WNDR3700. Power cycling the WNDR3700 is the only way to fix the issue.

To answer the questions above: No I'm not able to reach the router config pages during this time and no I am not downloading torrents.

Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.4.68NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.42


Thats exactly what it is doing to me, but Im on XP Pro SP 3 on both laptops. Both Xboxes get kicked off when it happens as well.
Message 7 of 22
jlewter
Guide

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

justcrash wrote:
I will check next time. If it does, what does that mean?


It would just provide a reference point showing that the problem is due to the lease getting dropped.

If logging in and doing a release/renew works then we can try to figgure out why the DHCP data is getting killed.
Message 8 of 22
Generious
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

Are you running the traffic meter on the router?
if yes disable it.
Message 9 of 22
justcrash
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

Generious wrote:
Are you running the traffic meter on the router?
if yes disable it.


Where do I do that at? Would I have had to enable it?
Message 10 of 22
silentz
Novice

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

Looks like this is a known issue with the 3700. I've found posts on forums all over the net talking about the dropout problem.
Message 11 of 22
justcrash
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

Do you know if its an issue they are working on?

And to the earlier question asking if I can still ping the router or hit the router GUI when this happens (it just happened) I cannot.
Message 12 of 22
jlewter
Guide

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

justcrash wrote:
Do you know if its an issue they are working on?

And to the earlier question asking if I can still ping the router or hit the router GUI when this happens (it just happened) I cannot.


Since you cant ping the router, and the GUI is going down then it sounds like the router itself is simply "locking up"..

There does seem to be other people saying that this is going on, but I have yet to see anyone offer a real open view of why it might be happening. I suggest you file a support request via the main netgear support site and see if they can give you a clue as to what's going on. Perhaps they have some test firmware that they may be willing to give out to people having this problem, and by all means dont be afraid to ask them for a beta firmware update to see if it fixes the problem Smiley Wink..

There has been some chatter that the traffic meter in the router could be causing this problem, but I have my doubts.

This just sounds like a memory leak to me (bad programming), or some log files growing too large for the system to cope with (bad programming).

Both could be causing the cpu/mem/io of the router to be breaking down.

If the support team give you a responce that's worth anything, pass it back here. Remember these are not "official" support forums, they are basically user2user support forums and many of us are not privvy to the QC systems to know if this is a big issue or not.
Message 13 of 22
ZeTouNe
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

I did have some similar problems.
After being advised to disable the traffic meter on this forum, I tried it and it fixed my problem (so far, more than 2 months without ANY drops).
I opened a ticket at support and I let them know the traffic meter option could be a problem but I didn't have any reply about this.
Message 14 of 22
justcrash
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

ZeTouNe wrote:
I did have some similar problems.
After being advised to disable the traffic meter on this forum, I tried it and it fixed my problem (so far, more than 2 months without ANY drops).
I opened a ticket at support and I let them know the traffic meter option could be a problem but I didn't have any reply about this.


My traffic meter, as far as I can tell, was never enabled. This was the first netgear router I've ever bought and DEFINITELY the last. A router being able to hold a steady connection is one of the few things I NEED a router to do and this one can't do it.
Message 15 of 22
patrickgerry
Novice

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

what does it say in the event viewer?
Message 16 of 22
justcrash
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

patrickgerry wrote:
what does it say in the event viewer?


On the router? or the machines that it is connected to?
Message 17 of 22
jlewter
Guide

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

He means the bit on the router, under "Content Filtering" "Logs"
It doesnt really belong under "Content Filtering", but it is ;P


I dont look at mine that often, but I just spotted a bug someone asked about a couple of months ago :/.....

http://192.168.1.1/FW_log.htm
Message 18 of 22
jsteng
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

My WNDR3700 is just 5 days old; i bought it to replace WRT54G2. All was fine until every morning when internet is down. I tried to check if its a DSL problem, it wasnt as WRT54G2 could connect.

I was almost going to flash WNDR3700 with DD-WRT but apparently, that itself is a bad idea (DD-WRT on WNDR3700 = plenty of bugs).

Then I realized that WNDR3700 uses "Green" technology wherein, it automatically powers down wireless and ETH ports when idle. Could this be the reason why WAN port could be dropping as well? ie, WAN port drops, the DSL modem drops but WNDR3700 thinks its still got valid IP and connection... I am not sure about this - just speculating.

Today, I used a remote machine to constantly PING the router every 15 minutes. For the first time, my router is still connected to the internet when I woke up this morning.

I am not certain if this is the case; it is after all, the 1st day of this test. I will post after a few days if its still going strong.

IF this is the case, perhaps, Netgear should release a new Firmware to include a KEEP-ALIVE feature so that it could constantly PING the DSL/WAN gateway and keep the DSL/WAN connection up?

Honestly, DD-WRT firmware has lots of cool features that WNDR3700 could use. KEEP-ALIVE is just one of them.
Message 19 of 22
jsteng
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

In addition:

I realized that when WNDR3700 disconnects from WAN, it still maintains an IP Address "A". But when I power-cycle the DSL modem, WNDR3700 would receive a new IP Address "B". This finding does not say much in itself.

But on my old WRT54G2 router, it wasnt the case. Everytime I reset, power cycle the WRT54G2 or the DSL Modem, I would be given the same IP (unless I was offline for more than several hours).

Adding the two, this means that, WNDR3700 was disconnected to WAN/DSL for an extended amount of time (either due to the powering down/green tech of WNDR3700 or simply because it was left IDLE far too long ISP dropped it) and must be the reason why connection to Internet is dropped.
Message 20 of 22
jsteng
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

Its almost a week and here is what I find:

#1. Periodic ping from a remote machine to WNDR3700 helped. It helped WNDR3700 maintained connection to the internet.

#2. There are instances when the DSL modem itself would hang. In this case, not even ping would help of course. Not even a "release/renew" IP address would help as well (what can you expect when the DSL modem itself hanged and therefore would not respond?).

My conclusion:
#1 My ISP must have some timeout or whatever disconnecting the DSL modem when there is no traffic.
#2. A Keep Alive is needed for WNDR3700. I believe it is a MUST HAVE.
#3. I need to a way to power-cycle the DSL modem when connection is lost... How to do that hmmm...?
Message 21 of 22
mikedenney
Novice

Re: WNDR3700 dropping connection to net... please help!

jsteng wrote:
My WNDR3700 is just 5 days old; i bought it to replace WRT54G2. All was fine until every morning when internet is down. I tried to check if its a DSL problem, it wasnt as WRT54G2 could connect.

I was almost going to flash WNDR3700 with DD-WRT but apparently, that itself is a bad idea (DD-WRT on WNDR3700 = plenty of bugs).

Then I realized that WNDR3700 uses "Green" technology wherein, it automatically powers down wireless and ETH ports when idle. Could this be the reason why WAN port could be dropping as well? ie, WAN port drops, the DSL modem drops but WNDR3700 thinks its still got valid IP and connection... I am not sure about this - just speculating.

Today, I used a remote machine to constantly PING the router every 15 minutes. For the first time, my router is still connected to the internet when I woke up this morning.

I am not certain if this is the case; it is after all, the 1st day of this test. I will post after a few days if its still going strong.

IF this is the case, perhaps, Netgear should release a new Firmware to include a KEEP-ALIVE feature so that it could constantly PING the DSL/WAN gateway and keep the DSL/WAN connection up?

Honestly, DD-WRT firmware has lots of cool features that WNDR3700 could use. KEEP-ALIVE is just one of them.


MAN, you are NOT kidding...I just (finally!) got around to actually BUYING an older Linksys WRT54G (v8!) and 'wrt'd' it two weeks ago...I wanted to make it a wireless repeater bridge to extend my network out over my yard, for when I want to look something up, check something, while out in the barn--and maybe to begin using my 'Google Play' account again, to free up RAM on my dumb HTC Aria phone after 'rooting' it recently.

DD-WRT is awesome...even though I had to look up a 'how-to' video on Youtube ("Thanks, 'dannyboy', whoever you are"), I realized very quickly how versatile and useful it is--and so many more routers to try it on, compared to Tomato.

Now, on to my WNDR3700 v.2--kindof stupid, the thing's factory firmware...I can only imagine how bad it was out-of-box, because my local ISP installer made it a point to stick around and update the friggin' firmware as soon as he set it up...must've suuuucked...overall, it's pretty nice.

But some things leave you wondering if Netgear pushed it out into the market WAY too fast...these include:
    , and gave you 'props' in the description! (if you want that removed, it's done)...

    Have a good one...mine's working...better.
Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 9498 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E