WNDR4000 and Genie

WNDR4000 and Genie

Hope this is the proper forum. I have the Netgear Genie installed on my PC. Much better than the previous Netgear router sw. For the last few weeks I've been having nagging popups from Genie and I've been unable to resolve this. Specifically, I get a popup telling me Genie has detected a New Device - 192.168.1.1 - the router. I can get several of these in a row, just as fast as I hit "OK." I may go 3-5 minutes without a popup - never longer.
BUT, there is a qualification. Once my PC boots up in the AM I get no popups and may not get any for a few days. The only time I get them is if I open Genie for some reason. As soon as I do, the popups start. If I close Genie (no ki8ll the app) - no change, eternal popups that 192.168.1.1 is a new device. I will get these popups until I reboot or until I start up the PC in the next AM. Why do these popups occur only after opening Genie? How do I stop them?
BONUS question: Whether related or not, in trying to get Genie to behave, I uninstalled/reinstalled the sw. Since that time Genie has "found" two new devices it refers to as Network Device with Mac addresses. Problem? Best I can tell I have no devices with the Mac indicated. I have nine devices on my network. Genie "finds" eleven. Only change was the reinstall of Genie. How can I find out what/where these devices are? How can I find out if they are "real" or not? How can I get Genie to 'let go" of them?
Message 1 of 4
cderrington
Tutor

Re: WNDR4000 and Genie

Not sure if you have found your answer or not, but I had the same issue.
To fix the popup issue, I disabled notification of new devices in the Network Map section.
Message 2 of 4
marauder
Aspirant

no idea about the popups, as for the extra devices look at their mac addresses and make sure you don't have any duplicates. also are the wireless or wired? if they are wireless are you using WPA or WPA2? if not you may have intruders (freeloaders) if you are using a key try changing it to see if they go away.

i've had some ghost items on mine from time to time but it was just where the device reconnected and had been assigned another IP address and the list just hadn't updated yet to drop the old device.
Message 3 of 4

Yeah, but I like the popup notices.
Solved the problem as follows;
had 2 networks on the 4000 - 5.0ghz and a Guest. The problem occurred when, on bootup, the 4000 would connect to the Guest wifi. Solved it by removing "Guest." Not elegant, but no more constant popups.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E