Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR4300V2 Airprint Consistantly Stops Working

My primary desktop computer and Canon Pixma MX922 are both wired LAN connections to this router. I have 6 iPads / iPhones in the house that occasionally need to print using the airprint feature. It works just fine as long as the primary printer has just printed something. But after about 10 minutes, none of the wireless iDevices can see the printer anymore. It seems as if the access through the router has "timed out". If I open Genie on my PC and select "refresh" under the airprint options, it immediately becomes visible again, however; who wants to boot up their PC just to hit "refresh" so they can do a quick print from their iPad. The wired PC can always see and print to the printer regardless of time.

Is there a setting that will allow me to keep the printer visible to other wireless devices when my PC is turned off?

Firmware is 1.0.0.32 (latest)

Model: WNDR4300v2|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNDR4300V2 Airprint Consistantly Stops Working

Welcome to the community, @ktoliver

The PC that has the Genie must always be turned on for the Airprint to work.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, Elaine!

The PC is on and the airprint still stops working after a short period.

Message 3 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the PC turning in sleep mode? 

How about if you try using a different computer?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

No. The power settings on the PC are set to never sleep. Only the monitor sleeps.

Please clarify your suggestion; try using a different computer for what? I only have one computer wired on the network. Other devices are wireless.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Use a different computer to install the Genie to isolate. 

Under Tools what is set for the Timeout option? Try to adjust it. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Nice...a timeput option is precisely what I would expect to be looking for, however I do not see such a menu on my version of Genie. My menu, when using the PC browser, looks like this:

Capture.JPG

and the menu in the Genie application looks like this:

Capture2.JPG

Can you tell me where this option would be in the menu treee of either one?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The window I showed you is with the use of the NETGEAR USB Control Center utility. 

The utility enables ReadySHARE Print function of the router through the USB port. 

Is the printer cable of wireless connection or the printer is connected to the USB port on the router? 

Another setup that you may do is to simply connect the printer wirelessly to the router.

You should be able to print wirelessly without connecting the printer through the USB. 

For ReadySHARE Print instructions you may see the following links below.

https://www.netgear.com/assets/landing/readyshare/readyshareprintum.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KdmLolwKM&cid=wmt_netgear_organic

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

I agree that you should be able to print wirelessly without connecting the printer through the USB or using the ReadySHARE utility. I have my primary PC hard wired with a network cable to the router and all other iDevices are wireless. The wireless devices can all discover and print to the printer as long as I do one of the following directly preceding the print request:

1) Print something from the primary PC

2) Open Genie on the primary PC and select "Refresh" from the "Airprint" menu (yes, the printer appears on the list and is checked)

I tested this method with various iDevices and it is repeatable. After approximately 10 minutes all iDevices lose visibility of the printer. It is maddening; there must be a 10 minute default timeout or sleep setting SOMEPLACE that I cannot find. At first I thought perhaps the iDevice going to sleep was the issue, however testing revealed that I can sleep those devices and still see the printer within the initial 10 minute period.

Let me know if you think of anything else, and than you for working on this with me.

Message 9 of 16
Highlighted
Prodigy

You don't need that Genie app when you're printer is connected through wireless network.

Printer should be independently working on its own when it's connected wireless.

The only time you need that Genie is if your printer is connected through USB to the NETGEAR router.

------------------------------
gimme dorayaki Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

I use the Genie app purely for the Parental Controls settings. I have an 11 year old and it is a lifesaver!

Message 11 of 16
Highlighted
Prodigy

No need to use Genie app for printing. Take the check out under Airprint.

Sure! Use that Genie for the rest of the feature you like but you don't need it for printing.

Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

I gave it a try this morning and nothing changed.

I entered Genie and de-selected the box for my printer under the "Airprint" Menu.

I rebooted my computer, the router, and the printer.

All wireless devices still only see the printer for about 10 minutes. I had previously disabled the DRX settings on the printer. Still no joy.

Message 13 of 16
Highlighted
Prodigy

Don't use Genie.

Take it out of the picture.

Just connect and use your printer wirelessly. All you have to do to accomplish that is to connect the printer to the wireless network.

Message 14 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion, however; I do not understand how this affects anything. If I have disabled the "Airprint" function in Genie (which I have) what affect would Genie continue to have on my printing?

The printer was previously connected wirelessly and I encountered the exact same problem with wireless devices losing visibility of the printer. In an attempt to change something, I went ahead and direct wired the printer to the router. The problem persists.

Message 15 of 16
Highlighted
Prodigy

If you have the same problem without using the Genie, then it's not a Genie/Netgear problem.

Sounds like your printer is going into sleep mode.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements