Highlighted
Novice

WNDR4500 need modem ?

I have just purchased a N900 WNDR4500. Didnt realise that it didnt have a adsl modem built in. All my previous routers were router/modem's. Netgear tech support suggests I buy a DGN2200 which I note is a router/modem combo. Need some help on how to set this up,

the manual says:

'If you are attempting to set up your NETGEAR router as an additional router behind an existing router in your network, consider replacing the existing router instead. NETGEAR does not support such a configuration.'

Which suggests that it wont work with another router.

Do i need just a modem, and if so, what model would you suggest. Would
prefer to stay with netgear

What do i need to buy to get WNDR4500 connected to the internet?

Many thanks for your help in advance

Chris
Message 1 of 21
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR4500 need modem ?

netgear model does not start with DG, DGN does NOT have DSL modem built-in

simple as that. you will need DSL modem separately or buy DG,DGN models
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 21
Highlighted
Virtuoso

cjacs wrote:
Which suggests that it wont work with another router.

It’s best avoided, but can be made to work relatively easily, typically you would set the modem/router to forward all data traffic to the Netgear router by setting the Netgear router as the DMZ, and also make sure that the Netgear router is on a different private subnet to the modem router (e.g. modem/router 192.168.x.y, Netgear 10.x.y.z) and this normally happens by default.

However most ADSL modem/routers have the option to be put into Bridged Mode, look that up for your modem (Google the modem model number along with the words Bridged Mode), if someone has done this then you are sure to find a link on the Internet.
Message 3 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

Buy the Draytek Vigor 120 Modem. It's the best you can get and you get all the cables/stuff you need to connect to the router.
Message 4 of 21
Highlighted

I also made a similar mistake in not realising it was only a router and not also a modem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

my original setup was a 54mbps wireless modem router ADSL dg834gv3

I also used 1 of each of the following:

Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender, 4-port WiFi Adapter
WN2000RPT

Netgear UNIVERSAL WIFI RANGE EXTENDER
WN3000RP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now added the Netgear WNDR4500 and it is working however i now have my original old wireless network with the 2 extenders extending the old network.

There is a new wireless network from the WNDR4500, On my phone this new network is showing as at 65mbps and on my pc it shows as 144mbps. Should it be showing as more or can it be improved upon with a different modem?

I was hoping to get rid of the old wireless network so i could purely use the new router and use the 2 extenders to just extend this new network. would i need to get a wired modem now and if so which one is best?

Any advice would be greatfully recieved
Message 5 of 21
Highlighted
Novice
Novice

I too bought the WNDR4500 but was aware no in built modem. The store guy said I could use my existing DG834 modem/router - just convert the DG834 to modem only mode. There is a hidden config page at 192.168.0.1 to do this. I hope it connects and it is smooth sailing.
Thanks to the DG834 Tips100.pdf via JMIZOGUCHI and the netgear forum.
Message 6 of 21
Highlighted
Virtuoso

JCH wrote:
I too bought the WNDR4500 but was aware no in built modem. The store guy said I could use my existing DG834 modem/router - just convert the DG834 to modem only mode. There is a hidden config page at 192.168.0.1 to do this. I hope it connects and it is smooth sailing.

sounds great.. enjoy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

JCH wrote:

That's coincidence. I have just bought a WNDR4500 and intend to use it with a DG834 modem/router (because I have one, it works and I'm currently broke).

Do you know if it is possible to get the WNDR4500 to work with an IP address of 192.168.0.1?

I have so far failed because even if I set the DG834 to use 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, I am unable to get the WNDR4500 to accept an IP address of 192.168.0.1.Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 21
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Use DG834 as modem mode !
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Use DG834 as modem mode !

Ok, the DG834 is now in modem mode, its IP is set to 192.168.0.2 (to leave 192.168.0.1 free for the WNDR4500), it is getting a sync speed of about 5700 so it is seeing the phone exchange and I can access it when I plug a PC directly into its 1st port, but
when I connect the WNDR4500 I can no longer reach the DG834 and I get no internet.

How do I tell the WNDR4500 to connect to the DG834 that is in modem only mode?
Message 10 of 21
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You don't connect to DG other use as modem
Modem mode means DG function as simple DUMMY modem function

Authentication will connect to your ISP through DG modem

You NO longer able to connect DG GUI behind the 4500

You have to use switch between DG and 4500 one goes to Internet port and one goes to LAN
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi there

I've been tying to get this to work for a while now, without success Smiley Sad

You have to use switch between DG and 4500 one goes to Internet port and one goes to LAN

By "switch", I assume that you actually mean an ethernet cable :confused:
I cabled ethernet port 1 of my DG834G (in modem mode) to the Internet port of the WNDR4500. That is correct, isn't it ? I also tried the other ports on the 834G but it doesn't change anything.
The Internet LED of the 4500 lights orange, so it's seeing the cable, but not a valid Internet connection. I'm entering the same info in the 4500 as I was in the 834G when it was acting as modem and router, and if I switch the 834G back to modem/router mode and re-enter the info, it works just fine.
I'm not sure what could be going wrong here. I have a second DG834 so I'll try with that to see if it makes a difference. I'm doing this for a school, 100km from where I live, so it's a bit tricky to 'pop over' and do a few tests Smiley Wink
I'm up for any other suggestions…
Message 12 of 21
Highlighted

I too purchased the WNFR4500 and didn't realise that it needed a modem. Luckily I also have a DG834 and by following various searches I set it to 'modem mode' I used the default 192.168.0.1 so that I could re-acquire control, although I understand that it is a dumb device and will not appear on my network.
My problem :
The WNDR 4500, connected with the Yellow cable provided, plugged into port 1 of the DG834, cannot access the internet when I type in my ISP provided Username & Password. I am getting the Amber light on the front panel.
I AM getting an unusual IP allocated to my iMac when I view Network preferences, something that looks like an allocated IP from my ISP.
Has anyone actually got the combination of DG834 and WNDR4500 working?
John
Message 13 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

JHE_Netgear wrote:
I too purchased the WNFR4500 and didn't realise that it needed a modem. Luckily I also have a DG834 and by following various searches I set it to 'modem mode' I used the default 192.168.0.1 so that I could re-acquire control, although I understand that it is a dumb device and will not appear on my network.
My problem :
The WNDR 4500, connected with the Yellow cable provided, plugged into port 1 of the DG834, cannot access the internet when I type in my ISP provided Username & Password. I am getting the Amber light on the front panel.
I AM getting an unusual IP allocated to my iMac when I view Network preferences, something that looks like an allocated IP from my ISP.
Has anyone actually got the combination of DG834 and WNDR4500 working?
John

Hi,
I did get this working flawlessly actually… and I'm still totally unsure why it didn't work in the first place ! Smiley Sad
Convinced that it HAD to work, I first put the DG834 into modem mode and plugged one of the Macs of the network directly to port 1 of the DG with an ethernet cable. I configured the Mac for a PPOE connection with the user/pass info of the ISP, and the Mac connected to Internet straight away…*the modem was OK therefore. I left it on and connected the 4500 (off) with its yellow cable from port 1 of the DGR to the 4500's modem port, plugged the Mac into one of the ethernet ports of the 4500 and turned the 4500 on. Logged into the 4500 from the Mac, having reconfigured the Mac to Ethernet, and typed the login/user info into the 4500. The amber light of the 4500 turned green, and yay ! Internet appeared on the network Smiley Happy
It's been going for a fortnight now without a hitch :cool:
Hope this can reassure you Smiley Wink
Message 14 of 21
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Setup DG as modem mode
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 15 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Setup DG as modem mode

Thanks jmizoguchi…*I think we'd pretty much established that Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

FredBloggs wrote:
Hi,
I first put the DG834 into modem mode and plugged one of the Macs of the network directly to port 1 of the DG with an ethernet cable. I configured the Mac for a PPOE connection with the user/pass info of the ISP, and the Mac connected to Internet straight away…*the modem was OK therefore. I left it on and connected the 4500 (off) with its yellow cable from port 1 of the DGR to the 4500's modem port, plugged the Mac into one of the ethernet ports of the 4500 and turned the 4500 on. Logged into the 4500 from the Mac, having reconfigured the Mac to Ethernet, and typed the login/user info into the 4500. The amber light of the 4500 turned green, and yay ! Internet appeared on the network Smiley Happy

Thanks for that, I got my 4500 running too but with a cheapy DM111P. Figured I didn't want a second wireless network running. The only part I did differently was at the end. I connected the 4500 to my configured and working DM111 and then changed the login/user details for the internet connection on the 4500 to "connection does not require a login". Since the modem is running the connection, the 4500 should just pick up the internet from that and not need to re-login. Worked for me. Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

greenbandit wrote:
Ok, the DG834 is now in modem mode, its IP is set to 192.168.0.2 (to leave 192.168.0.1 free for the WNDR4500), it is getting a sync speed of about 5700 so it is seeing the phone exchange and I can access it when I plug a PC directly into its 1st port, but
when I connect the WNDR4500 I can no longer reach the DG834 and I get no internet.

How do I tell the WNDR4500 to connect to the DG834 that is in modem only mode?

I know now. Set the DG834 LAN IP to 192.168.1.1, set the DHCP to only assign 192.168.1.2, and tell it to send EVERYTHING to 192.168.1.2, then when the WNDR4500 connects to the DG834 everything works as needed (WNDR4500 WAN IP = 192.168.1.2 & LAN IP = 192.168.0.1).

What also works (to my surprise) is that if a PC connected to the WNDR4500 LAN tries to access 192.168.1.1 it CAN interrogate the DG834 GUI. :cool:
Message 18 of 21
Highlighted
Virtuoso

It is double NAT so it can be an issues but as long you preference is okay then life is good
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 19 of 21
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
It is double NAT so it can be an issues but as long you preference is okay then life is good

As you say, it is indeed double NAT, but it appeared to work as well as using a DM111P in bridge mode. Inbound port forwarding as set in the WNDR4500 worked, and (except for the two open ports due to port forwarding) full stealth mode was reported by ShieldsUp at www.grc.com

While it was in use (until FTTC was installed), life was good.
Message 20 of 21
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You reply to DG834 using double NAT.. off course DM11P in bridge mode (RFC Bridge) with 4500 is the ideal
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation