pezheadforte
Aspirant

Re: Weird WNDR3700 DNS problem

I've been encountering this issue for 3 weeks or so. I have no issues during the day, but when my boys come home and the XBOX comes on, I start having the issue. Don't know for sure that is the problem, but who knows. I downloaded the file mentioned and went through the Router Upgrade process with no issues. Logged onto the router, and enabled Wi-Fi and made some other config changes. Everything is working ... We'll see what happens when the boys come home from school today. Will report back in a couple days.
Message 101 of 135
madhatter
Apprentice

MikenMel wrote:
MadHatter, sorry, thought I explained this in a previous post.

Has anyone gone directly to Netgear and asked them what is going on?

yes, I understand the problem, and rebooting only helps for a short period of time; now strange as it seems if I go to BASIC SETTINGS | TEST it has been my experience that this resolves the DNS problem. Don't ask me why
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 102 of 135
doneill314
Aspirant

madhatter, The reason "TEST" works is that it kills and creates a new dnsmasq task.
Message 103 of 135
orientboy2
Aspirant

How do you get to Basic settings when the router /DNS has failed.

When my one does WND3700 V1 I cant access the router login page
Message 104 of 135
doneill314
Aspirant

You have to use the router's IP address. The default is 192.168.1.1 if it hasn't been changed.
Message 105 of 135
MikenMel
Novice

Still having the problem, mostly in the morning when we boot up our Android phones. I have been able to circumvent the issue if when I turn the phone on, I immediately turn off the phone's wifi radio. Once the phone has completely booted up (usually several minutes later), I can turn the phone's wifi radio back on, and everything seems to still work. It is a PITA, but it is an option. When I get a chance, I will instal the Open WRT firmware and see what happens. Even if Netgear is unwilling to fix the issue, the least they could do is say that there is a problem with xxxxxx equipment, and point us toward a fix so we can do it ourselves...
Message 106 of 135
eyancey
Aspirant

Just want to thank everyone for posting on this. I had the same DNS issue with the WNDR3700 that started in late Nov of 2014. After doing numerous router reboots I finally bit the bullett and installed OpenWrt.

I can't say yet if this has resolved this specific DNS issue yet, but WOW, this software is so much better than the standard Netgear software that came installed. I highly recommend it. The install was a snap and had no issues at all. I was hesitant to upgrade but now I'm kicking myself for not doing it a long time ago.
Message 107 of 135
Mooztik
Aspirant

i have the same problem with lastest firmware in france.

problem started early december.
every 24 hours the server can't resolve dns.
if i connect an android device after dns problem, the router crash and reboot, but the router is unusable.(some times server by ip adress is inaccessible)
if i connect an android device when the router is ok, i have a chance to lost dns the minute after connection.
i need to shut down the netgear router and my modem and restart them.

downgraded, same problem. reset config does not fix the problem.
currently i have manually set the dns from my provider.
i m testing this.

in search of an alternate router for security, to install open WRT to fix a problem than Netgear never fix.

Thank's to all of you, i now know the real problem with my router. and have the answer about open WRT fixing this problem.

my next router will be Open WRT compatible for security and not Netgear
Message 108 of 135
Arallu
Novice

So I finally gave up and flashed dd-wrt onto my WNDR3700 v1 from http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700
using the default netgear upgrade, then set the DNS to OpenDNS.
Hopefully this fixes it!
Message 109 of 135
orientboy2
Aspirant

Logging in to router on 192.168.1.1 gets me to the router screen but pressing test does not re connect to the internet.
Only a reboot of the router does.

I am now getting daily drop outs. I had a solid connection for 3 years never a problem but back in November it started dropping out, something must have happened to do this?
Message 110 of 135

This thread is not about dropped connections. It is about a specific mode of failure of the DNS service on the router. You can determine whether you have the problem being discussed by pinging a server on the internet by IP address (e.g. ping 8.8.8.8).

If you can still ping a server by IP address, but can't connect to any websites, email, etc. then the likelihood is that the problem is with the DNS.

If such a ping fails, then you have no internet connectivity and need to be looking for a different problem (it could easily be a problem with your phone line or ISP).

I also don't get the above statement about buying a new router which supports OpenWRT which is not Netgear. Firstly, the WNDR3700 is already running OpenWRT, albeit an old version with Netgear branding. Secondly, if you are going to install OpenWRT on the router anyway, it really doesn't matter what the software and update service are like on the router as you'll be replacing it. My personal experience of Netgear is that they offer good reliable kit for a reasonable price. I appreciate that others my prefer different manufacturers.

Looking at the date that I switched to fibre broadband, it looks like I have had my V1 for about 4 years. I do not expect to be getting software updates on a piece of kit that old. The fact that we can still update it ourselves thanks to projects like OpenWRT is nothing short of amazing.

Cheers R.
Message 111 of 135
madhatter
Apprentice

orientboy2 wrote:
Logging in to router on 192.168.1.1 gets me to the router screen but pressing test does not re connect to the internet.
Only a reboot of the router does.

I am now getting daily drop outs. I had a solid connection for 3 years never a problem but back in November it started dropping out, something must have happened to do this?

Try setting DNS in the router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 112 of 135
orientboy2
Aspirant

Just so I don't mess this up I assume I go to the router internet page then where it gives the options for DNS
1/ Get automatically from IPS which is what is selected at the moment
I select Use these DNS servers and put
8.8.8.8 in the primary then 8.8.4.4 in the secondary

is that correct

Thanks
Message 113 of 135
Mooztik
Aspirant

set the DNS does not fixed the problem for me.
finally choose and installed DD-WRT. (version from the wiki page)
no more problems.
gained a bit of speed in every corner. in wifi connection, in dns resolution(web pages loads a little faster) in LAN transfert.
really happy !!
installing it, is simple has updating an official firmware, there's just the 30/30/30 reset to do.
thank's Netgear for the support...
Message 114 of 135
parent55
Aspirant

I am another person with the DNS problem. Since last Fall I have been troubleshooting this when my tenants complain. They are not happy and I've lost significant time trying to figure out why this is happening. Now, thanks to this forum, my suspicions are confirmed. I've used the 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 work around like many of you. Not a satisfactory approach for mobile devices.

I have been using Netgear for many years. I am professionally in the networking business for 35 years, working at several networking companies along the way.

I have read the entire thread and commend the help many of you are providing.

However, I condemn Netgear for not even posting a note to acknowledge the problem, even if they won't fix it. More importantly, posting to tell us the problem does not exist in their latest products. I suppose we could assume this to be true since the people posting don't seem to be using the latest products. But that is just an assumption.

To me this means Netgear does not care about their customers as evidenced by their lack of interest in this worldwide issue for people using their gear. I have just gone out and replaced my Netgear router with a new one from Asus ($210 USD). I hope that was a good move. They are not listed on the OpenWRT web site so perhaps I am jumping off into the unknown :-) As the problem appears in my other installations or I need to make upgrades, I will swap out those Netgear routers as well.

For me, customer service is my highest priority. Netgear is off my procurement list for my needs and those of my customers.

I am glad the helpful people here have provided each other with the help needed. I wish you all well. Perhaps some day Netgear will get their act together.
Message 115 of 135
MrVideo
Aspirant

[QUOTE=RobertIn order to gain access to telnet I ran a utility called telnetenable from the machine that I wanted to use to access the router, giving both the ip and mac of the router and a default username and password. I got the utility here: http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/10602/NETGEAR-Telnet-Enable-Utility/ There is also a Perl version available for penguins.[/QUOTE]

I prefer to run the Linux perl version. Where is it available? I could not find it on the site.

Thanks
Message 116 of 135

Linux versions of TelnetEnable can be found either:

In C on OpenWRT Wiki: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/telnet.console

In Python on Google Code: https://code.google.com/p/netgear-telnetenable/

Cheers R.
Message 117 of 135
MrVideo
Aspirant

Thanks. The info was very useful.
Message 118 of 135
madhatter
Apprentice

parent55 wrote:
I am another person with the DNS problem.
I am glad the helpful people here have provided each other with the help needed. I wish you all well. Perhaps some day Netgear will get their act together.

I'm having good luck with this DNS

NortonTM ConnectSafe
Preferred DNS: 199.85.126.10
Alternate DNS: 199.85.127.10
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 119 of 135
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

parent55 wrote:
However, I condemn Netgear for not even posting a note to acknowledge the problem, even if they won't fix it. More importantly, posting to tell us the problem does not exist in their latest products. I suppose we could assume this to be true since the people posting don't seem to be using the latest products. But that is just an assumption.

Netgear are aware of this and have been looking into it since 3rd December

http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=487149&postcount=6

This issue was also related to two other threads around that time, also reported to Netgear.

It is not clear where the problem is since the earlier suggested cause is an issue that is over a year old. The issue appeared in December but appears in some cases to have been resolved elsewhere. Not all routers appear to be affected, and it seems to be related to a small number of ISPs, if it was a global issue then I can say that from past experience with other issues that affect many people e.g. NTP problems, this thread would be much longer than it is and there would be many threads spread across the forums. That of course does not mean that the issue does not exist, but does make analysis/diagnosis somewhat more difficult.

I will see what I can find out from Netgear engineers, and post back here with more details if Netgear are able to update me.
Scottyboy99
Aspirant

I just a bit puzzled by the problems that have started. Presumably people have had their v1 models for years in many cases. Yet this issue only springs up in last few months. Am I undestanding that correctly. Strange the issue has not manifested itself much much earlier. Or has there been a relatively recent firmware update that has sparked this?
Message 121 of 135
HowardW
Novice

In my case, I had the 3700 V1 since it was first offered for sale about 4 years ago. I kept the Netgear firmware up to date because it had feature to check for updates, When I first purchased the router some features correctly (Guest for one) did not work and I had to wait to several months before the firmware was updated to correct it. I was on Comcast in Seattle at that time. The router was fine until I moved to Phoenix in April of 2014 and my only option was Orbitel for cable modem. Some time in May or June I started getting the "DNS not available" as I described in earlier posts. I blamed Orbitel for the problems until last October when I spent more than an hour with an Obitel tech on the telephone. She finally had me connect my computer directly to the cable modem and the problem was corrected. I reconnected the router and lived with the problem for while, but it seemed to slowly get worse. I started looking for posts and found this thread. Thanks to the experienced people in here, I have been operating using the OpenWRT for more than a month now without one single "DNS not available" problem. The new GUI that is provided with the firmware is easy to use and I am very happy I upgraded.
Message 122 of 135
mikero
Aspirant

I'm seeing exactly the same issue. Dns resolution by the WNDR 3700 fails after approximately 24 hours. Connectivity is fine, upstream DNS is fine, alternate DNS server functions fine. It doesn't appear possible to change the dns servers handed out by DHCP so I'm stuck hand reconfiguring every device that enters my house to use something like google dns.

UK router and ISP (virgin media service - modem mode)
Firmware Version V1.0.7.98 (latest)
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.64 (latest)
Message 123 of 135

mikero, you sound like you are technically competent - I gave detailed instructions a couple of pages back on how to change the DNS server that DHCP hands out on a standard WNDR3700 running stock firmware - yes, you need to run the magic telnetEnable to get onto the router, and footle about with the config files a little, but the changes should hold until you reboot the router, but it's not particularly difficult to do. Shame that you can't do it through the web interface.

Cheers R.
Message 124 of 135
Callesoroe
Aspirant

I solved my problem with a factory reset. Now 3 weeks without reboot of router. Before 3-4 times a day.
Message 125 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements