Highlighted
Aspirant

WiFi Dead?

Hi,

I noticed an odd problem with my router the other day. I noticed my WiFi was gone in both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Not just poor but GONE. The SSIDs are not even showing up on other devices. I looked at the router and both WiFi lights are on, and when I log into the control panel, it shows that both bands are "working" but nothing is connected to it at all. I tried rebooting the router and still same issue. I have a v2 model with the "32" firmware and it has been working "OK" (not great but working) up until last night.

Is there something else I can check or do?

Thanks

Message 1 of 17
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: WiFi Dead?

Try a factory default reset, if that doesn't work then think about replacing it.
Message 2 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks I will have to try that. Do you know if I "backup settings" will cause any issues with this as I have like 16 IPs setup for different devices in my network.
Message 3 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

I tried that and no go so I'm guessing the router might be toast??? Odd that both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz died at the sametime though. Their SSID doesn't even show up on other devices.

I was hoping that maybe newer firmware might fix this. As I mentioned I have the 1.0.0.32 firmware and I can't seem to upgrade it at all. I tried downloading the 1.0.1.12 firmware to first flash it to and then the .14 but it won't even accept the .12 firmware.

Any ideas besides a new router?

Thanks
Message 4 of 17
Highlighted
Novice

I have the EXACT same issue and it just started today!

Any ideas? I tried resetting- see 2.4 and 5GHx lights but not ssid broadcast
Message 5 of 17
Highlighted
Novice

Same issue. Just started today!
Message 6 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

It is really odd to me for both to go at once like that. According to the router they are "working fine" but it is not broadcasting the SSID and nothing connects to it anymore, so not sure what to think.
Message 7 of 17
Highlighted
Novice

Do you have a 3700? I believe mine is version 1.

It has worked well for years then yesterday- poof- same deal. Odd that we both have the same model of Netgear router that just happened to develop the same symptoms at the same time.

By any chance do you live in an apartment complex or a high rise? I do and there are a lot more wireless networks now.
Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

I do have a 3700 but it is version 2. The signal has always been spotty at the other end of the house (2 story) but I was surprised when it totally disappeared (both bands). To me that is odd that both bands would totally be gone at the same time like that as I thought they used separate radios.

Too bad the firmware doesn't have some kind of diagnostic in there that could give a better idea. As far as it's concerned, WiFi is working fine.
Message 9 of 17
Highlighted
Novice

Did you try factory resetting the device? I did. No luck. Can still use ethernet ports but the WiFi has simply disappeared. Can not ping it with a laptop or two cell phones.

Comcast is my ISP and their cable modems come with wireless and firewall capabilities. However, the wireless is not as fast and configuring options are minimal.
Message 10 of 17
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Folks - Exact same issue for me too. Maybe started around Feb 20 for me. I also have a WNDR3700 v1, and I'm running Firmware version V1.0.7.98NA.

I have changed no settings, made no changes. After two years of WiFi bliss, all of the sudden my 2.5 gHz SSID does not appear on any devices.

I've reset the modem to factory default (not fun). Did not work. On the SmartWizard UI, the 2.5 gHz SSID seems to be working, but, again, it's clearly not broadcasting.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Message 11 of 17
Highlighted
Novice

Ask your friends, and you'll see many of them having wireless issues this week? Conspiracy?
Message 12 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yep I tried doing a factory reset and still both bands were "gone" to any other device, but according to the router they were "up and running" I figured I'll even try to update the firmware as I have the "32" version of it, but nope, it would not let me install "12" or "14" so got me. The LAN ports still seem to be working.

Odd that a few of them just stopped working within the last few weeks.
Message 13 of 17
Highlighted
Novice

OK- gave up. Did some reading and found out the 3700 had rather poor wireless antennae anyway. Bought a new Archer C9 from TP- Link.
Wow! My wireless speeds come across the same as Ethernet when connected to 5Ghz-a full 100+Mbps. The 3700 is going to the electronics recycling center.

Oh by the way- I found that using dd wrt firmware really did improve the 3700 router, but it did not fix the wireless issue. http://www.dd-wrt.com

Good luck!
Message 14 of 17
Highlighted
Novice

I just posted another form about this similar problem not having seen this yet, but with more information involving the issue so maybe everybody here can find a fix. Waiting for a moderator to approve it.

If this is some sort of stunt to get people to pay for Netgear's "support", they overestimated the amount of sales they'll be getting, since I for one will be going with a different brand.
Message 15 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am having the same problem and it started about the same time. Very odd. Mine does however still show the 5 ghz band, but NOTHING for the 2.4 ghz band.
Message 16 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

NWNJ wrote:
I am having the same problem and it started about the same time. Very odd. Mine does however still show the 5 ghz band, but NOTHING for the 2.4 ghz band.

Can you still see the 2.4Ghz LED lit up? If no, go to the router's page and check " enable wireless router radio" under advanced wireless settings or press the wireless button.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements