× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cm1200 trying to connect to wifi router c6300

jazzman4
Aspirant

cm1200 trying to connect to wifi router c6300

will not connect and unable to get wifi

Wanted to upgrade my speed and just purchased the CM1200.  works fine when direct connected to PCs, but cannot get it to connect to the router/wifi Netgear c6300.   Iv'e rebooted, tried going through my 8-bay switch, tried many configurations rebooting each time.  I can see my old wifi network name, but will not connect.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: cm1200 trying to connect to wifi router c6300

A couple things. 

1. The C6300 is a modem/router combo devices. 

2. the CM1200 is a modem only device. it has no routing capability. Meaning even though it has 4x ethernet ports, most ISP's will only allow 1 device to connect to it because they only assign 1 public ip address. 

If you're planning on using the cm1200, you'd need a router to connect to it. The C6300 isn't just a router. its a modem/router combo device. So its doesn't have a WAN port to connect to the CM1200.  

Not sure who helped you figure out what to buy but they steered you poorly. 

Advice?

I'd pickup a router to connect to the cm1200. Its a solid modem that needs a router connected to it. 

I don't recomend buying modem/router combo devices because then you run into issues like you're having when you upgrade. As well as then the ISP controls the firmware. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Cable modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@jazzman4 wrote:

will not connect and unable to get wifi

Wanted to upgrade my speed and just purchased the CM1200.  works fine when direct connected to PCs, but cannot get it to connect to the router/wifi Netgear c6300.   Iv'e rebooted, tried going through my 8-bay switch, tried many configurations rebooting each time.  I can see my old wifi network name, but will not connect.

Message 3 of 5
jazzman4
Aspirant

Is there a "first choice" router that would work with the cm1200?  We need to cover 1500 sq ft.. and it needs to connect to a mesh wifi system for our family next door (two  unit building with a total of 2800 sq ft.  Also, is wifi 6 backward compatible?

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7