wndr3700v2 connection problems

jamesreid
Novice

wndr3700v2 connection problems

Hi,

I've seen a few others with my problem, but no real answer....

I've recently purchased a wndr3700v2

I have a number of devices that I'm connect to it using wifi - some via 2.4ghz, some via 5ghz

I also have an Samsung Galaxy SII that uses the wifi - no probs at all.

On my Toshiba Portege R830 I am regularly getting the "windows was unable to connect to..." error message when I try to connect to the wndr3700v2 (doesn't matter what frequency)

I've noticed recently that power cycling the wndr3700v2 seems to fix the problem, but that has not always been the case.

I'm running the latest version of firmware (12) on the wndr3700v2 and all patches for my laptop.

Help!
Message 1 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: wndr3700v2 connection problems

usually hibernation mode/sleep mode on your laptop is the cause of issues.

you can try power management of wireless adapter not to sleep while it's mode to test
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 10
jamesreid
Novice

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've done the following:
- Gone into power options and changed the plan settings so that wireless adaptor always runs at maximum power
- Disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the wireless adaptor (Intel Centrino Advanced N-6230")

Rebooted

But it makes no difference (computer has not been to sleep... it errors as soon as I try to connect to my wndr3700v2

I've also got a WG602v3 Access Point at the other end of my house... "it just works"
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

But it makes no difference (computer has not been to sleep... it errors as soon as I try to connect to my wndr3700v2

Are you saying from Pc fully off position and still can not connect?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 10
Computer_User1
Aspirant

jamesreid wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

I've done the following:
- Gone into power options and changed the plan settings so that wireless adaptor always runs at maximum power
- Disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the wireless adaptor (Intel Centrino Advanced N-6230")

Rebooted

Not only do you need to set the Windows Power Management settings above, you also need to adjust the Power Manager settings of the Intel wifi card itself. You can get to the PM settings by: Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> right click on the Intel N6230 device -> go to Properties -> then Advanced tab. Adjust Power Management to Maximum Performance, and Transmit Power to Highest.

Here is an instructions link from Intel. http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-032513.htm
Message 5 of 10
jamesreid
Novice

Thanks for the replies!

jmizoguchi: yes - at present I cannot connect at all (though other devices are fine) from complete shutdown and restart (I've even tried taking the battery out just to make sure)

Computer_User1: Thanks for the suggestion - I've checked my settings as per the Intel site and they are all on maximum power

I've also downloaded the latest drivers + software from the Intel website (they are significantly newer than those provided by Toshiba) but makes no difference.

Just for good measure... I've already returned one of these boxes and got a new one (I purchased the original box 3 weeks ago, returned it a week ago) after talking to Netgear support.
Message 6 of 10
jamesreid
Novice

Update:
- I power cycled the wndr3700v2 and it worked for several days
- But now I'm back to where I started (restarting either the wndr3700v2 or laptop does not resolve the issue)

Help!
Message 7 of 10
Computer_User1
Aspirant

Hope this reply is not too late. Since your connectivity issue seems to limited to just one computer, something could be wrong with your computer network settings. You can use the following instructions to clear your computer's network setting.

1. Go to Start Menu -> Search box -> type in cmd.exe -> right click on the cmd.exe icon and select "Run as administrator"

2. Execute the following 3 commands, type one line at a time follow by an enter.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh interface ipv4 reset

3. Reboot Windows and retry connection to router.

If that didn't work, another potential problem I can think of is the MTU size. You can use the following instructions to change your MTU size for the computer.
1. open the command prompt (cmd.exe) in administrative mode, see above.

2. Type the following command follow by an enter.

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

3. This will show all your network subinterfaces. Take note on the subinterface name of your wireless adapter. Then type the second command below, where ? is your wireless subinterface name (make sure surrounded by double quotes). Then hit enter.

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface interface="?" mtu=1492 store=persistent

4. reboot and retry connection to router.

That should fix any MTU size problem. Post back on how it goes please, thanks!
Message 8 of 10
jamesreid
Novice

Hi,

I haven't been back here for a couple of weeks (and haven't yet tried the suggestions from Computer_User1)... the reason I haven't been back is because I have found that I have far better success by turning off WPA2-PSK [AES]... I've only done it on the 5Ghz channel, but since doing it have had no problem connecting to it.

I don't like doing this for one minute, but it is working.

Does this provoke any possible cause / solution?

Thanks!
James.
Message 9 of 10
jamesreid
Novice

OK... so I got fed up with this box... purchased a Linksys EA4500 today... ran the config tool and simply works (really good coverage too!)

Seems I've either had two duff Netgear 3700v2s (both came from same shop) or something really weird is going on.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E