Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot update firmware DGN3500- Upgrade file is not the correct type or version for this device.

topopprent
Follower

Cannot update firmware DGN3500- Upgrade file is not the correct type or version for this device.

Trying to update firmware of router DGN3500. Its currently on V1.1.00.28 and the check upate button says there is a new version V1.1.00.33 availabe. However when I click 'Yes' to upgrade to that version i get this error message:

''Upgrade file is not the correct type or version for this device.

Upgrade failed.

Please obtain the correct file and try again.''

I have also tried to update manually by downloading the files from the NETGEAR website, unzipping them and then uploading them to the router but this fails with the same error message.

Message 1 of 9

Re: Cannot update firmware DGN3500- Upgrade file is not the correct type or version for this device.

@topopprent wrote:

I have also tried to update manually by downloading the files from the NETGEAR website, unzipping them and then uploading them to the router but this fails with the same error message.

Where are you looking?

There is support for the DGN3500 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> DGN3500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

I see no V1.1.00.33.

This is the latest:

DGN3500 Firmware Version 1.1.00.37 (NA Only) | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 9
Ozzie-5
Aspirant

I have a DGN3500 and am trying to upload the latest firmware.  When I open the Netgear Router Manager it automatically advised me that V1.1.00.28 was running on the router but there was a later upgrade V1.1.00.33.  I tried to apply it but received the same message as the previous community member.  I was advised to go to source the latest version.  I note that that is DGN3500_V1.1.00.38_1.00.38GR.  I am unsure what the GR means.  Is that a location suffix.

I am in Oceania and wonder if some of the updates are only relevant to other locations e.g. North America and that is why the V1.1.00.33 is not uploading.  Thank you. 

Message 3 of 9

@Ozzie-5 wrote:

I have a DGN3500 and am trying to upload the latest firmware. 

How? With a file you retrieved or using the browser interface to get the update to happen automatically?

There is support for this device at the end of this link:

>>>DGN3500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

Check the section in the manual "Manually Checking for Firmware Upgrades".

All the firmware there is for North America.I can see no mention of V1.1.00.33.

If the thing doesn't find anything you may be out of luck. This is now an old (2009) modem router. The latest firmware is from 2016, so there isn't likely to be anything new enough to handle many of the more recent security issues that firmware sets out to fix. And Netgear will not be adding any new features to something that ancient.

Message 4 of 9
Ozzie-5
Aspirant

'Hi Micahel, Thanks for your response. See the attached file.  I used the Router Manager's Firmware Upgrade Assistant.  It reported that the current firmware is V1.1.00.28 and that the latest is V1.1.00.33.  It asks if I want to upgrade to the new version.  I selected Yes.  However the upgrade failed, reporting "Upgrade file is not the correct type or version for this device. Upgrade failed. Please obtain the correct file and try again".  Your comments have made me realise that the router is old and likely to be a security risk. I'll organise to get a new 1.  Do you have any recommendations?  Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] Its currently on V1.1.00.28 [...]

> [...] I was advised to go to source the latest version.

Advised by...?

> [...] I note that that is DGN3500_V1.1.00.38_1.00.38GR.

That _what_ is?  Does your current firmware version have a suffix?

> [...] I am unsure what the GR means.  Is that a location suffix.

Region or ISP would be my guesses.  I've seen reports of "CH"
(Charter) and "SH" (Shaw) on various models.  Typically, the
ISP-specific versions seem to reject simple attempts to replace them
with generic firmware, but some users report success with more exotic
firmware loading schemes:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1543374

A quick Web search for:
      DGN3500 firmware
found a "NETGEAR DGN3500 Router Firmware 1.1.00.33 WW" kit on a
non-Netgear site.  Its firmware image dates from 2011-10-11.

> [...] the router is old [...]

Yup.

> [...] Do you have any recommendations?

Shop carefully.

Message 6 of 9

@Ozzie-5 wrote:

'Hi Micahel, Thanks for your response. See the attached file.  I used the Router Manager's Firmware Upgrade Assistant.  It reported that the current firmware is V1.1.00.28 and that the latest is V1.1.00.33. 

It is odd that there is no mention of V1.1.00.33 on the website.  Perhaps Netgear pulled it because of problems of some sort. That can happen!

There are newer firmware versions on the website. You could try a manual install of one of those.

The release notes for the latest version explain how to go about it:

DGN3500 Firmware Version 1.1.00.37 (NA Only) | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As you'll see, back then Netgear seems to have used the suffix "NA" on firmware files to denote North America. If that is not appropriate for your hardware, then the update may fail with the same sort of error message that you saw.

As to replacements, you are limited in the choice of DSL modem routers from Netgear, and probably other makers. I happily used the D6400 until a received a couple of routers for beta tests. So I now run the D6400 in modem only mode.

Your best bet is to go to the product pages and plug in your needs, and budget.

DSL Modems | DSL Routers | NETGEAR

The DM111PSP is the only modem there billed as ADSL, like the DGN3500, but some of the other "DSL modems", such as the DGND4000, are misleadingly described as DSL Modem Routers. They are really just ADSL.

Some can handle can handle both ADSL and VDSL. If there is any chance that you will get VDSL internet, then with a dual purposes you will be prepared to make the move with little fuss.

If you do get a new modem router, be prepared for some pleasant surprises. Depenmdiong on what you buy, the wifi will be a heck of a lot faster, especially if you have any local devices that can use 5 GHz wifi. The DGN3500 also says that it has 100BASE-Tx, RJ-45, for the local wired LAN speed, but that is a bit puzzling for something described as a "Gigabit Modem Router".

Then again, with an ADSL connection, you will never get on to the fast track.

Message 7 of 9
Ozzie-5
Aspirant

Hi Michael, thanks for your response.  My original post was in response to a local online newspapers coverage of a blog from Talos "New VPNFilter malware targets at least 500K networking devices..." https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2018/05/VPNFilter.html It states that Netgear products are susceptible to the malware.  From your posts I acknowledge that I definitely need a new modem router.  Would you advise me if DM111PSP or DGND4000 are safe options given the VPNFilter threat.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 9

@Ozzie-5 wrote:

Hi Michael, thanks for your response.  My original post was in response to a local online newspapers coverage of a blog from Talos "New VPNFilter malware targets at least 500K networking devices..." https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2018/05/VPNFilter.html

Netgear has already addressed that one:

Security Advisory for VPNFilter Malware on Some NETGEAR Devices | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Easily fixed, it seems.

In general, the newer the modem, the more likely it is to receive firmware updates that squelch these security lapses. But many of them seem to be theoretical rather than life threatening. There is an industry out there given over to finding and publicising exotic security holes. A good place to start is Netgear's own list of security alerts:

Security Advisory | About Us | NETGEAR

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7