Follower

Live Parental Controls ?

I have had this modem for almost two weeks. So far, pretty impressed. Rock solid connections, great speed, wireless is great. Less impressive is the very slow speed of the USB scanning and media serving, but that is low priority stuff for me - I have many better tools for this.

The one issue I have been having is that the modem will not engage LPC filtering on start up. I have to go into the management utility on the desktop and disable the filter (which it always tells me is engaged), then re-enable it. Once I do this, filtering kicks in.

As a long time OpenDNS user I was happy to have the LPC functionality built into the modem, instead of having a desktop utility keeping OpenDNS up on who I now was was, or having dynamic DNS chains trying to do it for me. The 3700 was going to make it so simple.

So far, not so much.

Has anyone got LPC working as advertised out of the box ?
Novice

Re: Live Parental Controls ?

Mine seems to be doing the same :mad: did you get yours fixed?
Novice

Netgear told me to try disabling upnp but this did not help.
Novice

Netgear are now telling me the dvice is faulty and to RMA it. I would have thought is was just buggy firmware rather than a hardware fault.

Please can somebody else see if they can duplicate this behaviour to see if my device is in fact faulty or its a common issue before I go through the RMA process?

Sign up for an opendns account and d/l the netgear management utility and enable it. Configure your setting to block and test working, then re-boot the router to see if is still blocking.
Novice

Please? It would be a great help. Thank you very much.
Novice

Can someone please do this simple experiment and let me know the results?

Netgear say I am an isolated case, apart from the person who started this thread of course. I would like to prove this wrong or right.
Novice

right looks like I will just have to swap it.
Novice

Gunslinger has confirmed that he was advised to replace his also and the replacement did exactly the same. I can therefore only assume that all DGND3700's currently have defective parental controls. Its a great adsl router other wise though.
Novice

Right might be getting somewhere, support have advised that there is a problem with the netgear opendns servers which is causing setttings not to be saved which they are trying to fix now.
Aspirant

Just another bug to add to the pile for the next firmware... wish they'd hurry up and get it released already... I want my IPv6 Smiley Happy
Aspirant

I haven't been able to get Live Parental Controls to work on my DGND3700. Netgear has told me that the DGNG3700 does not support live parental controls, per the compatability list here: http://countries.netgear.com/lpc (then FAQs). But, the product website says LPC is supported here: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/DGND3700.aspx. VERY CONFUSING.

So, is LPC available on the DGND3700 or not????
Apprentice

What kind of explanation do they give with regard to the conflicting information?

It would not seem to be fair if someone were to purchase this unit believing it can support LPC (based on info on the 2nd link) only to be told later by Netgear that it does not. Nothing less than a 100% refund with no shipping/handling charges incurred would be satisfactory.
Aspirant

I've been told by Netgear that Live Parental Controls is not available on the DGND3700. But that someone could get it to start at all implies that isn't true. Any updates on this topic?
Aspirant

Sorry about my second post; I didn't know my first one actually worked (new to the forum, obviously). Back to the reply to my first post....

There was no explanation, just reiterating the DGND3700 is not on the compatable list. No offers of any thing more, not even an explanation of why this might be, or indication they will update the site at the 2nd link. I'm kind of at a loss what to do. I just want the LPC to work on the router I spent the time to set up!
Apprentice

Why agonize and waste more time. What you must do is clear as I see it.
Novice

Does it not even say that it is supported on the box? I think it does, not got access to the box right now though.

I am having the original issues as per this thread and it does work for me until the router is re-booted. Not once have netgear said to me that LPC is not supported on this device in my recent dealings over this issue.
Luminary

sounds like firmware needs to published to fix this issues if rebooting is fixing your issues
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Novice

I think now that this may ave been a lie.
Aspirant

I'm really pleased that someone else has posted a thread like this. I have tried posting in this forum and elsewhere but have had no helpful responses.:mad: Here are the facts as I know them (I have a DGN2200 but I think the same applies to other model numbers) :

Netgear Live Parental Controls do not stay enabled at all times and will randomly stop working for no apparent reason. More often than not, if you restart your router the lpc will stop working but sometimes the lpc stop working at random. This should not be caused by a change in the IP address as the router is supposed to cope with this automatically.

Many people might not realize that this is happening because the management utility still reports the lpc as "enabled" even though they have stopped working. In order to get the lpc working again you need to "disable" the router and then re "enable" it.

I have contacted Netgear support both online and telephonically but the quality of the support is very poor. Of the three people I spoke to on the telephone (after paying $35 for premium support) none could speak English properly and not one was familiar with the term "live parental controls" so they could obviously not help.

If anyone finds a resolution please post it here.

Many thanks.
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue and have seen other people report it. I doubt very much if it is a hardware fault - it just doesn't make sense that this would be the case. If you've exchanged yours and it now works please let me know.
Luminary

This should not be caused by a change in the IP address as the router is supposed to cope with this automatically.

do you leave the idle timeout to "0"? if so try that. between the opendns and router is not updating the IP if IP has changes from time you got disconnected and connect with different public IP.

it should cope but if ISP dropping also quite often which that may also cause some grief. Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Novice

Open dns have provided a diagnostic verison of the management utility from which I have sent the logs produced when enabling parental controls. I am waiting to hear back.
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue. Hearing that this router (dgn2200) has an opendns powered lpc and it the most used service in the globe for parental control. Well, it only takes to push the power button to make all that plain useless.

Shame on NetGear for releasing such crabby software. I have spent nearly 10 hours today, made over 4 calls, spoken with support engineers and have gotten no resolution.

The bottom line is that lpc does NOT persist after a router reboot and it DOES indeed disable itself randomly for no reason. The only workaround is to re-enable the lpc via the lousy management utility.

If someone has gotten a resolution please let us know.

Thank you.
Aspirant

Hi. It will be no surprise to hear that I've got the same issue!!
Purchased mine to replace a perfectly good router as I required parental control functionality. Very dissapointed it does not work as advertised.
Can anyone please advise if any of the new Netgear routers actually maintain enabled parental contols after a reboot. I would like to swap the 2200 for one that actually works as advertised if possible.

Thanks
Novice

Netgear appear to have abandoned me now. :mad:
Discussion Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Top Contributors