× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Internet Access - but still connected?

Reactant
Initiate

No Internet Access - but still connected?

Hi, I've been having this problem for some time now, and up until this point, it's been nothing more than a nuisance. However, I've finally just had it.

I have a WGR614 v7 wireless router, and for the most part, it works great. Every now and again though, when I try to access some website, it'll stop working. My laptop will still say that I'm connected to the internet (54 Mbps, excellent strength, that sort of thing), but it'll also say that there's "no internet access." All the lights on the router are green, and everything looks just as it did when it was functioning correctly, but I can't access any webpages. The internet will also do this same thing on my roommate's laptop as well, at the same time.

For the past couple of months, we've been getting around this by simply unplugging the internet input cord on the router, then plugging it in three seconds later. That works pretty much all the time, for whatever reason.

However, a couple of days ago, I ran into the same usual problem (internet is still "technically" connected, but no internet access), and our usual remedy won't do anything. I've tried resetting the router, but to no avail. The internet itself is still up, because when I connected directly to our modem, I can use the internet just fine. It's only when I use the router as a go-between do these problems arise.

Here's what my ipconfig turns up when I'm "connected" to the internet wirelessly through the router

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::740f:d927:c018:853c%13
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{EF34EA48-3753-4661-9A48-122817B3EBAC}:

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{4889C394-8A29-4E77-9744-4C1EABA9F0E6}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
coachtjones
Novice

Re: No Internet Access - but still connected?

Believe it or not I did, for the most part.

Like most wireless routers, every couple of days, or a week or so, this problem will present it self and I cant get any internet. The solution I found was to open the Router Manger (http://192.168.1.1/start.htm from a browser) and click the "Setup Wizard" link on the left. All I do is re-run the wizard and it seems to restart the router software. All devices will disconnect and then reconnect and it usually works. Sometimes I need to do this process a few times but it usually takes care of it.

Please let me know if this works for you or not, or if you figure out something else, thanks.

-Trevor

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
ronpadz
Initiate

I am having same problem and want to join the thread. I'm about to give up on this router.
Message 2 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

see router setup on my sig below. make sure broadband and router is setup correctly. this will be first steps.. if this not correctly done you will have issues

either did not detail enough on type of broadband, before post any read and see if you setup is right and if so then explain why it is okay.

this will be a start...
Message 3 of 9
Reactant
Initiate

Well I got it working again - I eventually just reset the entire thing.
For some reason, it wouldn't let me reset it at first (an error message kept popping up in Stage 3 or something), then I tried in the morning, and it let me reset it just fine.

However, that still doesn't explain why any of this happens in the first time.

We're still running into that same problem where either one of us is browsing the internet, then when we try to access a webpage (this can be after 5 hours of problem-free surfing or 5 minutes of problem-free surfing), then our internet shuts down - BUT, the router's lights are still all green, my laptop says that I'm connected to the internet, great connection strength, everything. However, pages won't load.

Like I said, to solve this, I unplug the input Ethernet cable from the back of the router, wait 5 seconds, then plug it back in. That always seems to fix it.

But it seems to me that this fix shouldn't even be required...
Just strikes me as rather odd.
Message 4 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you never know , reset can do wonder some times 😄
Message 5 of 9
coachtjones
Novice

I have almost the exact same issue but have not been able to resolve it.

I set up this router (netgear wgr614 v6) 2 weeks ago straight from the box. Last weekend I was out of town so I unplugged both the router and cable modem while i was gone. When i came home and plugged them both back in, things started to not work.

Basically I can sync up with the router from both my wireless laptop and wireless desktop (both Windows Vista), and the little icon that indicates the router is connected to the internet shows up but when i try to open a webpage, it says there is no internet connection.

2 nights ago I was trying to troubleshoot this and it suddenly worked (i could access the internet) and everything was fine. Then last night I tried to use my laptop and the same problem was there but this time nothing made it work.

In trying to fix this I have, obviously, restarted all components multiple times, I rest the factory defaults to the router and set it up all over again.

I contacted Comcast (cable internet provider) and they were of no help, just said restart the modem, router, and computers. At one point I did get internet for about 2 minutes and then it stopped working again. I wasn't changing settings or anything when this happened, it just started working and then stopped.

I'm thinking this might be a software or settings issue because I had the setup working for about 2 weeks and everything was fine, nothing went wrong until i unplugged the router and modem for the weekend.

I cant copy and paste the ipconfig now because I'm not on those computers at the moment, but both computers came back with the "media disconnected" response in about 4 or 5 places when I ran ipconfig.

I'm not a networking genius but I'm not an idiot either. I'm at a total loss and don't know what else to do so if anyone can help me out, I'd be so grateful! Thanks for your help!

-Trevor
Message 6 of 9
vinnievv
Aspirant

Did you ever get things to work? If so, how? I'm in the same situation...
Message 7 of 9
coachtjones
Novice

Believe it or not I did, for the most part.

Like most wireless routers, every couple of days, or a week or so, this problem will present it self and I cant get any internet. The solution I found was to open the Router Manger (http://192.168.1.1/start.htm from a browser) and click the "Setup Wizard" link on the left. All I do is re-run the wizard and it seems to restart the router software. All devices will disconnect and then reconnect and it usually works. Sometimes I need to do this process a few times but it usually takes care of it.

Please let me know if this works for you or not, or if you figure out something else, thanks.

-Trevor
Message 8 of 9
JtP
Initiate
Initiate

I am having the same problem described here on my 15 month old DSL Router (DGN 2200(B) Wireless N300 Modem Router). The connected (wired connection) works, but the wireless connections fail. Sometimes it resolves itself, sometimes a reboot fixes it. On the most recent occasion, the reboot didn't work, but 30 minutes later it resolved itself.

I called Netgear and they offered to sell me a service contract, not very helpful there. For the price of 12 mos unlimited service, i can buy another router!!
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7