× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Updated firmware from 1.0.0.15 to 1.0.0.18 and now my device no longer works.

Mr_Rob_01
Aspirant

PR2000 Updated firmware from 1.0.0.15 to 1.0.0.18 and now my device no longer works.

Hi All,

I updated my Netgear Trek N300 travel router today by clicking on the update firmware prompt on the top web interface and now my router no longer works.

The LEDs on the device were lit up as follows: with the Power solid green the Internet solid green 

•Power solid green

•Internet solid green

•WiFi off but did flash for about 30 seconds before going off

•USB solid green even though there is nothing connected to the USB 

I am connected via ethernet to the device and it is no longer responding to pings.

I waited 5 minutes after the configuration web page went off then I tried the following:

•I tried power cycling the router 

The LEDs are as above and it no longer give out IP address via DHCP

•I have tried a factory reset by holding in the reset button for 5 seconds but nothing happens and the Internet LED does not change color.

Regards,

Rob

Model: PR2000|NETGEAR Trek - N300 Travel Router and Range Extender
Message 1 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Updated firmware from 1.0.0.15 to 1.0.0.18 and now my device no longer works.

Welcome to the community, @Mr_Rob_01

How did you upgrade the firmware? Is it through wired or wireless PC?

Try to reinstall the firmware by following the steps from the article below.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP

Message 2 of 12
Mr_Rob_01
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

I upgraded it through a wired connection from the PC to the LAN port on the router and the router was connected to the internet via the wireless connection.

I used the link on the top of the router web page to upgrade the router that says something like there is a new firmware available for your device would you like to update.

I can not contact the router via its IP address.

Message 3 of 12
Mr_Rob_01
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

When I come to this part of the process it does not work:

6.Turn router OFF for 10 seconds.

7.Hold down the reset button on the back of router with a paper clip.

8.Power ON the router while holding down the reset button.

9.Watch the Power LED. It starts with orange color, and then will start flashing orange.

10.Power LED will then turn to flashing green. Count at least 10 flashing green LED and release the reset button.

The Power LED is always solid green

Message 4 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the power LED will always be green.

It will not turn amber, however, did you still try to proceed?

Message 5 of 12
Mr_Rob_01
Aspirant

I have tried the TFTP process however my router never seems to have an IP address

Message 6 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you assign a static IP address on the computer?

If you did and it doesn't work, I suggest that you contact support and get an RMA.

Let the support team know the things you tried in order to recover the unit.

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)?

Message 7 of 12
William10a
Master

Sounds like the firmware was damage during the update if you were connected to a wifi based isp the wifi connection was lost duruing the firmware update when the radios in the router shut down, a manual update where a manual would have allow you to save the new firmware on to your harddrive and update via a wired connection then the wifi radios do not matter.

Maybe possible to use a serial cable from your computer to reflash the firmware onto the router you will to open the router up and connect wires to the routers circuit board instructions can be found the web if you feel that you are up to the job.

Message 8 of 12
Mr_Rob_01
Aspirant

Hi William,

I am up for the job are you able to point me in the direction of the instructions on the web?

Message 9 of 12
William10a
Master

Youtube should have a video on your router on how to do it according to your model number.

Message 10 of 12
sbneto
Aspirant

Re: PR2000 Updated firmware from 1.0.0.15 to 1.0.0.18 and now my device no longer works.

I have the exact same issue. Tried the tftp and it uploads the firmware successfully to the router, but nothing changes. It seems to be gone forever...

Message 11 of 12
William10a
Master

Re: PR2000 Updated firmware from 1.0.0.15 to 1.0.0.18 and now my device no longer works.

Did you clear the nvram before reflashing?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7