Aspirant

Strange DNS issues through WNDR4500

I have a very strange issue with a couple of sites when going through the WNDR4500. So far I've encountered issues with http://propic.com/ and http://www.speedtest.net/

When I bypass the router, and connect straight to the modem, both sites run fine, but when going through the router, propic.com doesn't respond, and speedtest.net doesn't load properly.

I've tried both sites on four different machines in my network, using both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

I've done TRACERT, and NSLOOKUP, and both sites are traced fine, but still there are issues as mentioned above.
Novice

Re: Strange DNS issues through WNDR4500

both sites resolve correctly here

win7/x64
latest FF
eset nod32

surfing net wireless
Aspirant

I'm pretty much ruling out the laptop, the OS, or any piece of software running on it, because both sites run fine when bypassing the router. When connecting directly to my cable modem the sites are both fine, it's only when going through the router that I have issues.
Novice

I would assume you have a setting on the router causing the problem if you ruled everything else out.
Aspirant

That's the thing, I have changed nothing on the router, still the issue has come to my attention within the past week. I was wondering; is there a way to backup my settings, do a factory reset, do some testing, and then restore my settings?
Novice

advanced/administration/backup settings
Aspirant

Something leads me to believe that my router is faulty. I have just performed a factory reset, tested the sites mentioned in above posts, but still no luck in connecting/loading them correctly. I then reloaded my original configuration, but still no connection/loading of the mentioned sites.

Also, running the exact same machine/configuration straight to the modem gives me no issues. So I think it's safe to exclude any issues with my OS or configuration.

I've also tested the connections to the same sites using my Galaxy Tab 10, and I have the same issues with the same sites. The Galaxy Tab I've had at work, and tested/verified the sites, and they do work on my Galaxy Tab.

Is there anyway I can run a diagnostic on the router to test it?
Aspirant

so except propic.com and www.speedtest.net, are you ok to browse other web site?

do you enable any parent control SW in 4500?
Aspirant

So far, those are the only two sites I've encountered issues with. And I know for a fact that these sites responded earlier. Especially speedtest.net, because I moved from a D-Link to the Netgear about 2 months ago, and did heavy testing on my new 70/10 line.

After the initial configuration of the router at that time, I have done no changes to the router. I like the "if it works, don't fix it" approach.

I see that the router is parental control activated, but it's on the lowest setting possible. I have also tried to disable this feature, but with no luck in terms of the sites mentioned.

And, I have the same issue on wired, and wireless devices, across different platforms.
Novice

Have you tried reflashing the FW of your router?
try to reflash or upgrade the FW of it to isolate you problem further.

You can also try to put a static DNS on your router and check if it will fix the problem.
Aspirant

I've tried to set a static DNS (OpenDNS), and that didn't help. I've checked for new firmware, no new firmware was available. I'm currently running V1.0.0.70_1.0.18, and I'm willing to try to re-flash it, if only I knew where to download it.
Novice

You can download the WNDR4500 Firmware Version 1.0.0.70 below:

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19740
or
Upgrade it to WNDR4500 Firmware Version 1.0.0.103 - BETA just click the link below:

support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19894

when you are prompt to register your device just click on continue without registering to continue downloading the FW.
Aspirant

Just received an e-mail from Netgear; this was a known issue between the router and Canal Digital/Thomson. It has been escalated, and they also recommended me to try to flash the router.
Novice

Any Update? Is it already working fine?
Aspirant

No, the beta did not fix my issue. Netgear said they hope to have it fixed by next firmware release.
Aspirant

I am having the same issues.
Canal Digital/Thomson and WNDR4500...
Aspirant

Hi everybody,

I was having the DNS issues with my newly purchased WNDR4500 as well. While I was looking at the settings on the router, I was alerted that there was a firmware update. The description stated that the DNS issue was addressed in this update. I went ahead and installed it and voila! No more DNS issues!

The version I installed was 1.0.1.6_1.0.24. Been running it for a few hours now without any hiccups. Hope this helps.
Aspirant

Just got mine today, and I have a Thompson/Canal Digital cable-service. The latest firmware did not solve anything. I'm unable to reach CloudFlare.com, Imgur.com, speedtest.net. (the latter two doesn't load images.)

Have asked what the correct MTU size should be, and I'm hoping to receive an answer within the coming days.

This is really something that truly annoys me when I went ahead and got this router and hoped it would solve all my problems. Only to create new ones :'(
Aspirant

Doesn't seem to make me edit my above post :/

When I fired up a VPN to a server in the US, from Norway. I were able to open all previously locked sites. Which is really sad :'(

Please, Netgear, look into this, since it seems to be a quite major issue. Who affects a large base.
Tutor

You can't edit your own posts no matter how many posts you make. However, if there is something that you feel is important that requires correcting, you can ask a mod to make the changes for you.

What happens to those sites that you listed when you bypass the router and connect the modem directly to the computer? Not only does the VPN tunnel through your router, it could also bypass restrictions from your ISP. And, you didn't say whether you tried that or not.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Aspirant

Those site worked perfectly with my old router. A Zyxel P-2812HNU-F3 issued by my previous ISP. Also, we switched modem when we upgraded the line to 70/10 Mbps, but again, the sites worked before I installed the Netgear router.
Aspirant

I had the same issue here with WNDR4000 and Canal Digital 70/10.

What was strange, Canal Digital told me that the new speed was set to "activate" the 23. of march, but the full speed was already there when I got the new modem a week before. But all these same sites you mention (who all uses CDN from edgecast.com) did not work thru the router. Try www.edgecast.com also, same problem.

But: the night before 23. of march my cable modem rebooted, there was a message on the cable modem log about something like remote rebbot and some other stuff. And since then all sites have worked.

So is your 70/10 modem very new? I think Canal Digital does "something" about 10 days after you ordered the new speed to activate it, even if the 70 mbits speed was there. Maybe they changed some parameters or something?

All I know that is after that day all sites have been working fine from here.
Aspirant

Still no solution to this problem? (.. other than waiting for a new firmware to arrive) :confused:
Aspirant

Still no solution to this problem? (.. other than waiting for new firmware?!) Smiley Sad
Aspirant

Yes, it has been resolved by Netgear, and they will include this into the next fix. They did remote access to my system for a couple of days, and provided me with a custom made firmware that solved it.
Discussion Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Top Contributors