Occasional Contributor

WGR614v7 needs constant resetting

I have a Netgear WGR614v7 wireless router. I had previously been using it, without issue, as a wireless access point for the following devices:
-Windows XP laptop with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Net wireless card
-Nintendo Wii
The Windows XP computer connected without issue for the most part. Every so often (about once a month) the computer needed to be rebooted to re-establish a connection. The Wii was set up once and never had any problems connecting.

I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 7, and formatted/re-installed Windows XP on the older laptop. I did not change any of the settings on the router. So now the configuration of devices connected to the router is:
-Windows 7 laptop with Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 wireless card
-Windows XP laptop with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Net wireless card
-Nintendo Wii

Now comes the problem. Approximately half of the time, the laptop computers can not connect to the router. Re-booting the computers does not seem to help; however, resetting the router does successfully re-establish the connection. I thought the problem might be related to the hibernation function of the computers, so I next went into the wireless card Power Management properties and unchecked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. I thought this would retain an active link between computer & router even in hibernate mode. To my surprise, this change has had no effect. The Nintendo Wii is also undergoing connection problems now, which are also solved by resetting the router.

I am now resetting the router once or twice per day and have become frustrated. I am open to buying a new router, but as an engineer my gut feeling is that this won't solve the problem (since I have yet to identify what the problem is). I haven't posted any of the router settings here because I wasn't sure which would be relevant, but I would be happy to write back with further details.
Regular Contributor

Re: WGR614v7 needs constant resetting

if you are using intel wireless utility, make sure you check the power management of the intel utility and not the O/S settings Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Occasional Contributor

That is correct ... changed the setting of the wireless adapter via Wireless Adapter Settings -> Configure -> Power Management Tab.
Regular Contributor

if you are using intel wireless utility, make sure you check the power management of the intel utility and not the O/S settings

you are not using intel utility?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Initial Contributor

same problem with the same router (with V2.0.30_2.0.30NA firmware) and Intel Gigabit adapter: connecting and reconnecting to all WiFi devices requires frequent router resetting. All Power Management settings for the adapter are unchecked. Problem seems to be related to DHCP failure when attempting or re-establishing WiFi connections.
Occasional Contributor

jmizoguchi: I don't know what Intel wireless utility you are referring to. I am changing the adapter settings of the Intel hardware.

edcoan: I, too, have the upgraded firmware. I didn't mention it because it didn't seem to have any effect.
Regular Contributor

intel has intel wireless utility program
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Initial Contributor

I also have this problem with the same router. Every two days I unplug the router, plug it back in, and it works for another two days. It still works fine with an ethernet cable, just not wireless. Other laptops also can't connect until the router is rebooted.
Initial Contributor

hey jmizoguchi, instead of being a dumbass and just keep saying intel wireless utility. why dont you tell us what to do.
Regular Contributor

hey jmizoguchi, instead of being a dumbass and just keep saying intel wireless utility. why dont you tell us what to do.

you are wasting my time with your attitude. go somewhere else ... we only deal with good behavior poster.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Discussion Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Top Contributors