Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extra Wired device

wings515
Aspirant

Extra Wired device

I am running Netgear Geni 2.4.62 and noticed an address of 192.168.1.5 for a wired device. The MAC is 4E:51:E4:99:4D:2B which returns no associated manufacturer. All wired devices are disconnected from this router and the only connection is wireless to my PC and a TP link wireless extender.  

Can anyone explain where this wired device is and how to remove it?  I have limited bandwidth and I am trying to eliminate any superfluous communication.

Thank you,

wings515

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Extra Wired device

Figure out where this MAC address in question is associated (connected) to? Carefully look at your router and the extender, especially the connection tables. Could be a random MAC address in use by a mobile client (including iOS or Android) or an extender doing MAC address translation.

Check all your mobile client connections for having random MAC address disabled, only using physical device addresses.

Message 2 of 4
wings515
Aspirant

The MAC address of the "extra" device is 4E:51:E4:99:4D:2B. All searches for this device manufacturer produce "Nothing Found".  I have disconnected all wired devices and removed the TP-Link wireless extender from the router and it remains displayed.  The network map shows this device connected with a Blue link which I believe is wired.  The details also show this as wired with an IP address of 192.168.1.5. 

There are 4 ports on my Actiontec DSL router and these are not connected to anything.  My PC  is connected via wireless but the map shows a Green line to the router along with a Green line to the Internet.

Thanks for the reply.

wings515

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@wings515 wrote:

The MAC address of the "extra" device is 4E:51:E4:99:4D:2B. All searches for this device manufacturer produce "Nothing Found". 

I have disconnected all wired devices and removed the TP-Link wireless extender from the router and it remains displayed.  The network map shows this device connected with a Blue link which I believe is wired.  The details also show this as wired with an IP address of 192.168.1.5. 

There are 4 ports on my Actiontec DSL router and these are not connected to anything. 

My PC  is connected via wireless but the map shows a Green line to the router along with a Green line to the Internet.

By the historical Genie application design: The computer running the Genie App is always shown as a green line, depending on the way the Genie App does "see" it. If the PC was connected before to the extender, Genie does take it as a wired connection, because the router has seen your computer on the wired LAN port recently. There is zero "live" or "truth" or even something like a correct link status monitor in this outdated application. Click on the device and you will see....

In my example, the Windows system operating is wireless, showing a doted line and the wireless tag. Probably because I have no Netgear router connected currently.

Don't know anything on your non-Netgear extender. I would expect it does have somewhere a MAC list of associated (or recently associated), probably including the current IP address, too.

To see more, you have to break out from the legacy application, and check what the effective devices have available related to information, data, MAC, .... I'm talking of the router, the extender, ....

With the extender plugged and active, ping the device in question. If it replies, and you are disconnecting the extender, it's not the extender. Instead, more likely it's associated to the router WiFi.

Here what a prehistoric Netgear extender (all idle currently) shows ref. MAC and Virtua MAC addresses:

Extender MAC and Virtual MAC.PNG

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7