Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hey everyone, Novice here with a question that will probably make most of you sigh . I have a C6300

Dave4696
Aspirant

Hey everyone, Novice here with a question that will probably make most of you sigh . I have a C6300

Hello All. As I said , Novice here with a question that will make most groan I am sure. But hey, This isn’t what I do. So I have this C6300 wifi router combo unit with also has the designation AC1750.  I’ve been using this unit for a couple years now and it has worked. I live in a small place, Im not a gamer but I do stream everything.  I also ended up with a newer Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 smart wifi router Model R7000.   It looks to me like the C6300 unit has the cable modem that the AC1900 does not have.

My question is - Can I use both of these units together to maybe get a better connection and speed ?  And if so how do I do that?  
As usual I appreciate the help.

Thanks and have a great day!

DW

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hey everyone, Novice here with a question that will probably make most of you sigh . I have a C6

@Dave4696 wrote:

I also ended up with a newer Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 smart wifi router Model R7000.   It looks to me like the C6300 unit has the cable modem that the AC1900 does not have.

You are trying to add a router to a modem-router. Not good.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

The good news is that the C6300 has a built in "bridge mode".

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Cable Your Modem Router to a Router or Gateway

If you don't want to do that – it turns ff the wifi on the modem – another option is leave the modem/router as it is and to put the  R7000 into "AP" mode.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But you then hit this:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

Re: Hey everyone, Novice here with a question that will probably make most of you sigh . I have a C6

@Dave4696 wrote:

I also ended up with a newer Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 smart wifi router Model R7000.   It looks to me like the C6300 unit has the cable modem that the AC1900 does not have.

You are trying to add a router to a modem-router. Not good.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

The good news is that the C6300 has a built in "bridge mode".

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Cable Your Modem Router to a Router or Gateway

If you don't want to do that – it turns ff the wifi on the modem – another option is leave the modem/router as it is and to put the  R7000 into "AP" mode.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But you then hit this:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 4
Dave4696
Aspirant

Thanks for the heads up. Obviously complicated and not what I need. So thanks for taking the tine to explain it for me. I’ just use the c6300 since it has the modem and router until Im ready to upgrade to another combo unit. Thanks again!
Message 3 of 4

@Dave4696 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. Obviously complicated and not what I need. So thanks for taking the tine to explain it for me. I’ just use the c6300 since it has the modem and router until Im ready to upgrade to another combo unit. Thanks again!

A lot of experienced users would warn you off "combo" solutions.

Two separate boxes – modem plus router – would give you a much wider choice of routers and would let you keep the router if you changed your Internet service, from cable to optical, for example.

You can happily use the C6300 with an R7000, but you have to set them up correctly.

Either C6300 in modem only mode with R7000 as router, or C6300 as modem/router with R7000 as access point.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series