Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Failed to set parental controls error

Chez606060
Tutor

R7000 Failed to set parental controls error

R7000 with firmware 1.0.9.26

When trying to update any connected device and change the parental control / Filer Level in Genie, I get an error of:

Failed to set parental Controls ! With Okay option.

My userID and password on OpenDNS is valid and working. I can log into OpenDNS on numerous different devices/PCs/IOS devices.

This feature was working in previous firmware versions, but I cannot specifically know when this occurred since it was working and I didn’t re-visit.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Chez606060
Tutor

Re: R7000 Failed to set parental controls error

With the help of L2 Tech Support and a new firmware release from two days ago 6/12/18 Parental Controls are working again.

1. Backed up settings in management GUI
  2. Upgraded Firmware (which was released two days ago)
  3. Used GUI to "Erase" for factory reset (I always hit the reset button on router)
  4. Un-installed Genie
  5. Ran through Setup Wizard GUI
  6. Installed Genie
  7. Setup Parental Controls with OpenDNS account
  8. Tested on numerous devices and changed settings.

All is good and thanks for the assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Chez606060,

1. Have you tried resetting the router?

2. Does the issue persist when using your other devices to change the filtering level?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 9
Chez606060
Tutor

Answers:

1. Have you tried resetting the router? Software Reset-Yes.  Power Off Reset-Yes

2. Does the issue persist when using your other devices to change the filtering level? Yes, Three different IOS devices using Genie and all fail. Also tried using Windows 10 and it fails.

ive noticed in other threads that you eventually send an email to others that experience this too, so this appears to be somewhat common. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 9
mike406
Apprentice

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227987627-Error-when-Logging-in-to-OpenDNS-with-NETGEA...

Looks like OpenDNS is aware of the issue - the question is when it will be resolved as it's been several weeks now. I'm able to login to my OpenDNS with the smartphone Genie app, but my router will not accept any of the settings for filtering. So as of now, it's completely broken.

OpenDNS recommends for now to use their dashboard to set it up manually but theirs only works over IPv4. I use IPv6 and so I need the parental controls built in the router for it to work for me.

Message 4 of 9
Chez606060
Tutor

Latest update

Uninstalled Genie on Windows 10 and reinstalled

I can change Parental Control in Genie in Windows 10 and it intermittently applies filtering to some iOS devices but not all, so it’s still not working consistently

Message 5 of 9
mike406
Apprentice

Unfortunately this didn’t work for me. I still get a login error every time I supply genie with my opendns credentials.
Message 6 of 9
Chez606060
Tutor

And never mind. Just went back to Windows 10 PC. I can change the Parental Control options in Genie, it retains the settings, but filtering doesn’t work.

Message 7 of 9
Chez606060
Tutor

With the help of L2 Tech Support and a new firmware release from two days ago 6/12/18 Parental Controls are working again.

1. Backed up settings in management GUI
  2. Upgraded Firmware (which was released two days ago)
  3. Used GUI to "Erase" for factory reset (I always hit the reset button on router)
  4. Un-installed Genie
  5. Ran through Setup Wizard GUI
  6. Installed Genie
  7. Setup Parental Controls with OpenDNS account
  8. Tested on numerous devices and changed settings.

All is good and thanks for the assistance.

Message 8 of 9
mike406
Apprentice

For some reason the Parental Controls doesn't work with IPv6. I could've sworn it did in the past, but I'm not entirely sure. So if you use this feature, you'll have to stay with IPv4.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7