Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

new router say's inter 'Not Connect' in red but everything works

mikalias
Aspirant

new router say's inter 'Not Connect' in red but everything works

When I tried to setup my router I tried to use the net genie but it alway fails at one point so I set it up manual and it worked but now when I log in under the home column and the Internet tab it says 'Not connected' in red but all the other tabs show everything is working.  I donwload the netgear genie and it show the same tab for internet and it is 'Status good'.  Whats going on why doesn't the home column when you log onto the router show no internet yet everything works and the downloaded netgear genie show every 'Statu good' and everything works on the internet and Lan,  how weird is that and can it be fixed.

Mik

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: new router say's inter 'Not Connect' in red but everything works

Hi @mikalias,

1. Are you referring to the Internet Status when viewing the router UI via a browser?

2. Does it show an IP address on the Internet port box under Advanced > Home?

3. Please make sure that your devices are connected to the correct network (both wired and wireless).

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 14
mikalias
Aspirant

No, I'm talking about the router when you log in as admin. The home tab at the top and it show a little world icon and below it, it says 'NOT CONNECTED' but I am connected because all the other tabs are green and my internet work fine and yes it shows an IP port address under advanced.  The seperate app that runs outside the router 'Netgear Genie' show's the same little icon of the wold but it is green and says internet is connected but the router does'nt. All my wifi works fine too.  really odd.

Mike

Message 3 of 14
Marcus305
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue as Mike.

Dexter - yes, I think we are both talking about the router user interface (UI) that we access through our browsers (by going to www.routerlogin.net).  The Genie app shows a good internet connection but the browser UI says "Not Connected" for the Internet status.  I was also not able to use the wizard to initially set up my router because the Genie web UI found there to be no internet connection.  Nevertheless, I was able to access the internet on my wired and wireless devices, so the router seems to be functioning okay. 

I believe there is a problem with the UI that is accessed through a browser that is causing this false error (as well as preventing the use of the wizard to set up the router).

Message 4 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mikalias and @Marcus305,

That is indeed strange.  What is the model number and firmware version of your respective devices?

Here are some steps that you can try.

1. Reset the router back to factory defaults.

2. Make sure that the firmware is up to date.

3. If firmware is up to date, try re-flashing the latest version then perform a factory reset.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 14
Marcus305
Aspirant

Mine is the R6700, and I am on v1.0.1.14_10.0.29 (which is the latest version that was released in late December 2016).  I have tried the factory defaults and even tried flashing it back to the previous firmware version.  Neither worked so I reflashed it back to the latest version,  I am convinced that the problem is related to the Genie web interface (not my router) and how the interface is attempting to determine whether there is a good internet connection.  The lights on my router are correct, I'm having no issues accessing the internet on my devices, and the Internet status on my Genie Windows App says  "good."

This is indeed strange, but it appears that this problem has been experienced by others in the past.  For example, please see the following threads (the first indicated that Netgear might have been experiencing a server problem):

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/Internet-quot-Not-Connected-quot/m-p/399468#M1...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/R6000-Series-AC-WiFi-Routers/Netgear-Genie-online-says-interent-not...

Thanks for your assistance.

Message 6 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Marcus305,

I have done my own tests and did not encounter any issues. Please try updating the router's firmware to version  1.0.1.16 then perform a factory reset via the UI.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 14
Marcus305
Aspirant

Thanks for notifying me about the latest firmware, which was apparently issued today.  I flashed my router to version 1.0.1.16 and then restored it to the factory settings.  It made no difference at all.  The web UI still shows “Not connected” and the setup process failed (supposedly because the router was unable to establish an internet connection). 

Message 8 of 14
mikalias
Aspirant

That did't work, however when I run the Setup Wizard it say's 'problem detecting the internet connection' that's why I did it manually and it works but the home/internet in the admin says no internet when there is??????  I did everything the setup wizord says but it still does not see an internet connect when there actuall is one.  If I could get the setup wizard to pass I think everything would be fine but i'm tired of playing with the thing when it works fine so i'll just let the home/internet in the admin say no internet and just ignore it.  Maybe there something about the signal from the cable from TWC/Spectrum that it doesn't like or maybe it's the hardware of the router.  I have 100 mbps service and a speed test show it's actuall running at 120+ so maybe it doesn't like the extra speed.  i'm running an ARRIS Gateway modem and I use to run 300 mbps a few months ago before I got the lower speed.

Mik

Message 9 of 14
mikalias
Aspirant

FYI my router is a Nighthawk R8500 running V1.0.2.86_1.0.75  firmware, This must be a very new harware because when I have to put my SN in it says it is invalid but I check the underside many times and it is correct.  the SN is 4P516A7VA0478 and what's odd again is when I regeristered it it accepted it then but not later on when they wanted it to get to the support group.

Mik

Message 10 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Marcus305 and @mikalias,

Please check if the issue persists when using another browser and/or another device (Android, iOS, another computer).

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 14
Marcus305
Aspirant

I previously tried using different browsers and a different computer (running Windows 10), and it made no difference. I do not have an Apple device, but I can try it on one of my android devices.

As a reminder, the Genie APP on my Windows 7 computer shows that I have a good Internet connection.  This is why I think the problem has something to do with the Genie web UI and how it is checking the internet connection vs. how the Genie APP is checking the internet connection.

Thanks for your continued assistance.

Message 12 of 14
Marcus305
Aspirant

My Android tablet also shows "Not Connected" . . .

Message 13 of 14
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Marcus305,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7