Help,how can I connect this to my home router plz, thanks in advance
Model: FVS318v3|Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall with 8-port switch
Message 1 of 9
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: FVS318 ProSafe VPN Firewall

Hi janty1977,

Welcome to the community!

It seems that you already have a router and you want this firewall to be added to your network. May I know which one do you wanted to set as the main router? You may add the firewall by changing its local LAN IP to 192.168.2.0/24 network so that it will not cause any conflict with your existing router or you may change your existing router to 192.168.2.0/24. If you wanted your existing router to work as your main, then you will be losing the advantage of using a firewall. But then again, it will still work.

If this is a brand new firewall, I may suggest you to open a chat / case online on NETGEAR support as you do have a 90 days free support. We can take advantage of that so that we can help you setting up your new firewall. 

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
janty1977
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am new to all this and a bit wet behind the ears. How do i do the above instructions and could i have a step by step guide or process please. I originally bought this product so it would provide me a continuous VPN for streaming etc. 

I bought the FV318 2nd hand in a used condition with all the leads and help disc, but still having problems. 

Thanks again in advance. Jiohn 

Message 3 of 9
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@janty1977,

I see. I don't think that you are getting what this VPN firewall can do. Maybe you are referring for the VPN software and not the hardware itself so that you can browse video streaming which is blocked from your location. You may try to check this.

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
janty1977
Aspirant

Sorry if I was sounding a bit silly in previous post. Yes I would like to use this as a firewall router and a VPN device as I will be plugging my IPTV box into it with a ethernet cable but still using my home router for other devices. I just can't configure it to connect up to my existing router. 

Is this possible?  

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 5 of 9
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@janty1977,

Yes, it is possible to connect this firewall to your existing router. You just need to change the LAN IP address of the router or the firewall so that they will not conflict. As long as the IP are not the same, it should work.

Please refer on this manual(page 60).

Regards.

Message 6 of 9
janty1977
Aspirant

Thanks, how do I do this? I'm bit new to all this so a Syep by Step guide to this process wood be very helpful as i dont have a clue!!

Thanks in advance lol .

Message 7 of 9
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@janty1977,

First thing that we need to do is to connect your PC directly to your existing router. Open the command prompt then enter ipconfig.

Look for the IPv4 address and default gateway that comes like this : 192.168.x.x

Now that we already knew the IP of your existing router. Please disconnect the PC then connect it to the FVS318. The connection should only be your PC and the FVS318.

Please press and hold the reset button at the back of the FVS318, so that we can reset it to factory default to start over.

Once it's done, Please open your browser and enter : 192.168.1.1, username : admin, password : password

Go to Network Configuration > LAN Setup > Edit (Default)

Please copy the information below.

Once done, You may now hit apply then connect it from FVS318(WAN) to your existing router(LAN).

Regards,

Message 8 of 9
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@janty1977,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if you still need further assistance and just in case that the reply would be the answer to your issue. I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements