Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVX538 VPN Connects but No Traffic

agadams4
Aspirant

FVX538 VPN Connects but No Traffic

I would like to utilize the VPN function on this unit, but I can't seem to get it to work. I followed instructions at https://kb.netgear.com/25836/How-to-Setup-VPN-with-NETGEAR-Firewall-and-iPhone-iPad and status shows "IPSec SA Established" but I can't get any packet activity. Firewall rule is set to block all incoming, but I don't believe that should matter with a VPN. Logs show connection established on other networks and cellular but can't access any local or remote resources. If I connect to the VPN from my local wireless network I see packet exchanges on the VPN status. DNS settings are correct, local network range is 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.253 with firewall at 10.0.0.1. Mode config range is set to 10.0.10.100-10.0.10.110

Model: FVX538v2|ProSafe VPN firewall 200|EOL
Message 1 of 6
agadams4
Aspirant

Re: FVX538 VPN Connects but No Traffic

Firmware Version is 3.1.1 -08

Model: FVX538v2|ProSafe VPN firewall 200|EOL
Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@agadams4,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Not sure if this will help.  Let me share the following links below. Kindly try the steps indicated on the links as reference guide and it might help:

VPN setup between iOS 10 iPad and SRX5308

Creating a VPN between iPhone and NETGEAR ProSafe™ Gigabit Quad WAN SSL VPN Firewall SRX5308

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
agadams4
Aspirant

Thanks for your response! I did follow the advice from both of these links, but I am still unable to get it working. It seems like I have messed with every setting possible! Please see the attached screenshots and let me know if you see anything that would be causing a lack of functionality. You'll note the VPN establishes correctly...

There are only two things I can think of:

1. There is no option to add an "IPSec VPN User" as you will see in the screenshot, but there is a section under VPN Client to add a user to the database so this is what I have done.

or

2. There is nothing in the release notes indicating that iPhone will work with this VPN so I'm wondering if that could be causing the issue? The release notes don't indicate any new features, and I am unable to see release notes for prior firmware releases so I can't confirm.

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@agadams4,

1. There is no option to add an "IPSec VPN User" as you will see in the screenshot, but there is a section under VPN Client to add a user to the database so this is what I have done.

The option to add an IPSec VPN User is available on the FVS336G.  I don't think that the section under VPN Client to add a user will help compensate it. 

2. There is nothing in the release notes indicating that iPhone will work with this VPN so I'm wondering if that could be causing the issue? The release notes don't indicate any new features, and I am unable to see release notes for prior firmware releases so I can't confirm.

There is no official article or documentation that iPhone/iPad will work with FVX538.  FVX538 is already EoL (End-of-Life) many years ago as well as there has been many updates on iOS.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
agadams4
Aspirant

I hear ya,

Just thought it odd that it would connect at all if it weren’t supported. Leaving the thread open in case someone else has a thought.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements