Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to use the BR500 as DHCP server with a Raspberry Pi (running Pi-hole) as a DNS server (no...

jdrch
Apprentice

How to use the BR500 as DHCP server with a Raspberry Pi (running Pi-hole) as a DNS server (no VLANs)

I'm considering replacing my TP-Link Archer C8 v1 with a BR500 so I can remotely access my LAN on the go via VPN. Currently I have the C8 set to use a Raspberry Pi running Pi-Hole (located on the same LAN) as a DNS server (DHCP/IP address assignment is still handled by the C8.) Is it possible to do the same with BR500? The manual (Chapter 4, page 70 onward) seems to suggest that to use a local DNS server, said DNS server has to handle DHCP also.

Is this the case, or am I missing something?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
jdrch
Apprentice

Re: How to use the BR500 as DHCP server with a Raspberry Pi (running Pi-hole) as a DNS server (no...

@JohnC_VPer a chat with tech support earlier today, this isn't the case. The BR500's DCHP and DNS functionality are linked, so that disabling the former disables the latter also. While this runs counter to most consumer routers that allow users to separate the 2 functions such that the router handles one while the other is outsourced, it does make sense from a networking point of view as one of the roles of a DHCP server is to inform clients of the DNS server.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi jdrch,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

As per checking, BR500 may work as your DHCP server even though your DNS server is the Raspberry Pi. Usually, other businesses uses remote DNS or local DNS in their network.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
jdrch
Apprentice

Thanks for the information. I just set up my BR500 and can't find a setting to assign the Raspberry Pi as the local DNS server for my LAN. I've already set the Pi up at the DHCP server. Is the latter sufficient for the former, or is there something else I have to do?

Message 3 of 4
jdrch
Apprentice

@JohnC_VPer a chat with tech support earlier today, this isn't the case. The BR500's DCHP and DNS functionality are linked, so that disabling the former disables the latter also. While this runs counter to most consumer routers that allow users to separate the 2 functions such that the router handles one while the other is outsourced, it does make sense from a networking point of view as one of the roles of a DHCP server is to inform clients of the DNS server.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements