Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking for a home office VPN appliance device to secure NAS file access remotely for one home u

srltroubleshoot
Aspirant

Looking for a home office VPN appliance device to secure NAS file access remotely for one home user

I'm looking to setup an easy to configure home office VPN appliance that has good performance for a user that is going to remote in from his home. I have been out of the security field for awhile, and I'm more of a desktop support guy anyway that has some, but not a lot, of security knowledge.

My goal is to host files remotely from my NAS device. I dont want to put my device on the net as I am sure it will be hacked, so I am looking for VPN appliances to fit the bill. The last time I worked with VPN related technology (15 years ago) they were slow has hell on the processor end and I am thinking that has improved somewhat. I have one person that needs to be able to read and write PDF files directly to the NAS and I am wondering if anyone versed in this field can point me to some equipment that will fit my use-case and provide that user with fast file system access over a VPN tunnel using an appliance device. I don't have a lot of time to configure and support my own custom device.

I currently have a NOKIA BGW320-505 Gateway device with a local provider that supplies ATT's fiber service at 50mpbs Down and 10Mbps Up with a Gigabit Switch. I'm looking for the best way to get reliable and secure VPN capabilities and am thinking of an independent VPN device [like this one](https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Insight-Managed-Business-Router/dp/B08GL497XL), but I am open to suggestions. Thank you for your time in helping people find good security solutions.

Message 1 of 7
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

Re: Looking for a home office VPN appliance device to secure NAS file access remotely for one home u

Most recently released VPN routers have improved over time in many ways. Definitely recommend getting an actual VPN router as they tend to make setup, configuration, and maintenance relatively easy and provide better performance than something that's also managing WiFi. However, I believe the BR200 (and BR500) are EOL, so may not be best investment (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Hardware-VPN-Firewalls-and/How-old-is-the-BR200/td-p/1979988).

Message 2 of 7
srltroubleshoot
Aspirant

Thank you, that is a good suggestion, it would be much easier to configure the vpn capabilities from the router. I didn't know that appliance routers had VPN capabilities.

Message 3 of 7
srltroubleshoot
Aspirant

Does anyone have a recommendation on a vpn router? I know these devices a prone to attacks because of their importance in critical business environments. Is Netgear pretty good an securing vulnerabilities as they arise?

Message 4 of 7
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

I have a BR500 and would likley consider a VPN router from Ubiquiti or Cisco Meraki (GX20) if I had to replace.

Message 5 of 7
srltroubleshoot
Aspirant

I was looking at routers with vpn capabilities today that are less vulnerable than consumer grade routers and I came across an interesting article which expands on a lesser known router called the "Pepwave/Peplink Surf SOHO". After reading it, I agree that business class routers seem to be better suited for the job. This one appears to be designed more from a security perspective and appears to have good support.

Message 6 of 7
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

Yes, there are plently of VPN routers available in the market which will do the job and it's a matter of finding the one that suits your needs. Throughput (especially encrypted) performance, encryption techniques supported by the router and how active and supported the router is by the vendor are some of the key things I use for evaluation.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements