Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN connection won't work when acccessing the third level of a remote file directory

aschoe02
Aspirant

VPN connection won't work when acccessing the third level of a remote file directory

Hello,

first of all, I'm a user of the NetGear ProSafe VPN Client software, not the administrator of our network. So bear with me, if my problem description isn't to the point or missing some important information.

I'm using the VPN Client (Software 5.04.002) to connect my Laptop running Windows 7, 64 bit from home to the IT ressources of my company. This works fine with two of three three networks I'm using at home. With one of the networks I'm having problems.

- The VPN Client connects successfully

- I can open the the top level of a file directory using the explorer in windows (e.g. \\toplevel)

- I can select and open the second level of a file directory (e.g. \\toplevel\secondlevel)

- If I want to open the third level windows takes about two minutes until displaying the message "Can't connect to \\toplevel\secondlevel\thirdlevel"

Of course I have the right to access this directory and the access works fine with the two other networks.

Our administrator asked me to compare the output of

- tracert

-ipconfig /all

- the vpn client console

They are all the same.

He assumes it might be a problem with the different network providers resp. modems I'm using. The network provider I'm having problems with denied that they are blocking anything. In the setup of the modems I couldn't find anything blocking access.

Any hints what might be the problem?

Thank you in advance for your help

Best regards

Alexander

Message 1 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: VPN connection won't work when acccessing the third level of a remote file directory

Hello aschoe02, 

Welcome to the community! 

The issue is pretty much isolated since it only happens on a single network. Your troubleshooting should focus on that specific network. Check the following: 

1. Are you the only user experiencing the issue? 

2. When directories are accessed locally (not using VPN) do you encounter the same issue? 

3. Does the network use the same equipments/ISP as the first two networks? 

4. Have you tested RDP? (no vpn)

The VPN software that you are using is also outdated so you may want to consider trying a different version. 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 6
aschoe02
Aspirant

Re: VPN connection won't work when acccessing the third level of a remote file directory

Hello JohnRo,

thanks for your fast replay. Regarding your questions:

> 1. Are you the only user experiencing the issue? 

Yes, I'm the only one. On the other hand, only very few (5-10) users are using the VPN Client Software

> 2. When directories are accessed locally (not using VPN) do you encounter the same issue? 

No, the problem only occurs via VPN

> 3. Does the network use the same equipments/ISP as the first two networks? 

The three networks I'm using to access are two different DSL-providers in my two different private homes in two cities and one mobile provider. Besides of the two different modems I got from the DSL-Providers I don't know their infrastructure.  One of them is working with the VPN client, the other one isn't. The third network is the tethering/hotspot functionality of my mobile phone and this works too.

> 4. Have you tested RDP? (no vpn)

Not yet. RDP is disabled. I will turn it on when I'm back in the office next year and then test again.

> The VPN software that you are using is also outdated so you may want to consider trying a different version. 

I already have downloaded the new version but wanted to wait for the OK of our administrator who is currently on vacation. I will then try and report back.

Best regards

Alexander

Message 3 of 6
aschoe02
Aspirant

Hello JohnRo,

I have an interesting update.

I turned on the debugging mode in the VPN client software (CRTL-ALT-D) and now the connection works without a problem. This works fine for me, if there are no drawbacks of the debugging mode, e.g. the client software is filling up my disk space with gigabytes of debugging information. On the other hand, if this helps to isolate and solve the actual problem I wouldn't mind to turn the debugging mode off again.

Best regards

Alexander

Message 4 of 6
aschoe02
Aspirant

Back to start.

The workaround with the debugging mode doesn't work any more. I didn't change anything so maybe it was just luck, that it worked once and didn't have anything to do with the debugging mode.

Best regards

Alexander

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi aschoe02,

Just to follow-up, have you already got the permission to use the latest version of the ProSAFE VPN Client software to further isolate the problem?

Also, using the existing version of the ProSAFE VPN Client software (v5.04.002) you have as of now, have you tried using other laptop that has Windows 7 64-bit or any other WIndows OS to further isolate the problem as well? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements