× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't reach GUI on GS308E over VLAN trunk port

Can't reach GUI on GS308E over VLAN trunk port

I have a simple network with two VLANs, 1 and 15.  VLAN 1 is the general LAN.  Most ports on my switches are in VLAN 1, untagged as that's the VLAN most devices talk to each other on.

So I configured my GS308E to have the two VLANs, 1 and 15 set port 1 to tag both VLANs and all other ports to be in VLAN 1 untagged.

Devices from anywhere on my network on (untagged) VLAN 1 ports can reach devices on the GS308E's untagged VLAN 1 ports.  So all in all, VLANs and tagging/trunking are working.

The problem comes when I try to reach the GS308E's web UI from a VLAN 1 port anywhere on the network except the GS308E.  It cannot be reached.  It can be reached when physically connected to the GS308E.

Now, if I unplug the trunk cable, and instead plug one of the untagged VLAN 1 ports of the GS308E into an untagged VLAN 1 port on another switch, I can access the GS308E's web UI from anywhere else in the network, even on machines not connected to the GS308E's untagged VLAN 1 ports, but connected to some other switch in the network.

It feels very much like the web UI is not bound to VLAN 1 on the GS308E, but I wonder then why it can be accessed from ports on the GS308E that are assigned to VLAN 1, or can be accessed from VLAN 1 ports on other switches but only if the "uplink" to the GS308E is untagged.

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: Can't reach GUI on GS308E over VLAN trunk port

The simple controller design is not workable over tagged trunks.

Message 2 of 8

Ugh!  Really!?!?

So deploy one of these switches anywhere in an existing network a never again reach it without walking over to it with laptop?

Well, I suspect it won't even get an IP from a DHCP server over a tagged trunk also, right?  So definitely no reaching it.

Is this common?  Do other brands (tp-link, etc.) of similar switches have the same limitation?

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@brianjmurrell wrote:

Well, I suspect it won't even get an IP from a DHCP server over a tagged trunk also, right?  So definitely no reaching it.

Correct.

@brianjmurrell wrote:

Is this common?  Do other brands (tp-link, etc.) of similar switches have the same limitation?

All the product lines built around the same chipset series, implemented and offered by various brands, are affected.

Switch designs build on real fully blown managed cores. Keep your eyes open.

Message 4 of 8

I guess it's a question of knowing what chipsets different products are being made from.  Which the common person simply doesn't know.  😞

Real bummed about this.  I guess this is going have to just end up a dumb switch.

Message 5 of 8
fitz17
Aspirant

I don't know if this will help or not but I'm currently using 7 VLANs in my network and have been controlling my switch remotely through a trunk port. I'm new to Netgear products so I may or may not be correct on my assumptions.

From what I've gathered is Netgear treats VLAN 1 as a management VLAN. Currently I have G1 configured with a PVID of 1 and all the other VLANs trunking over it. I statically assigned a IP from the VLAN 1000 subnet but DHCP was working when I initially set it up. When I initially set it up I had some issues with the VLAN/Firewall setup on my router. By any chance are you moving from one subnet to another and getting caught by a firewall rule? I access the web GUI from a desktop in VLAN 1000 that is plugged into my router. 

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@fitz17 we talk of the basic Smart Managed Plus or configurable switches, model designation with the GSxxxE. Don't be confused about the Smart Managed Pro switches you are used to with the GSxxxT designation.

Message 7 of 8

@fitz17 You start off by saying you are controlling your router over a trunk port but then end up saying that you are accessing the GUI from a desktop ... that is plugged into your router.

Those things contradict each other.  Of course the latter works.  It's the former that doesn't work.  Try accessing the GUI from a machine connected to a different switch such that the traffic needs to be trunked to the Netgear switch.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements