× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MAC address issue

engineer5525
Aspirant

MAC address issue

We have approximately 65 GC108P switches on a campus network. They are locally managed (we are not using Insight) and are currently on firmware version 1.0.6.3 (but this issue happend on ver. 1.0.5.6 as well). All the ports are untagged with the default VLAN 1, and some are additionally tagged with VLAN 10 (for VOIP phones). Occasionally a computer connected to one of the ports looses connectivity, and when this happens the MAC address of the computer cannot be found in the Address Table of the switch. So although the computer has a valid IP address previously received from the main router DHCP, it cannot get past the GC108P switch or go anywhere. When this happens, I have tried to assign a static IP to the computer in the same subnet, but since the MAC address has not populated the GC108P Address Table it doesn't make a difference, its still dropped by the switch. The only solution that works is to reboot the switch, then the computer regains connectivity and its MAC address can be found in the Address Table again. I have disabled MAC Address Validation in the GC108P, but the problem continues. Today for some reason it happend to 4 computers on the LAN, on 4 different GC108P's. Thank you for any help with this issue.

Model: GC108P|Insight Managed 8-port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with FlexPoE Power
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: MAC address issue

Strongly suggest to open a support ticket with Netgear.

Does this happen on the normal access port, or only on the ones where the additional tagged VoIP VLAN is added? 

Message 2 of 3
engineer5525
Aspirant

Re: MAC address issue

Thanks for reply. Yes, today I opened a support issue, hopefully they will offer some suggestions. The issue has happend both on normal untagged 1 ports and on ports that are VLAN 10 tagged ports.

Model: GC108P|Insight Managed 8-port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with FlexPoE Power
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements