× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN settings keep changing all the time

DDT3
Aspirant

VLAN settings keep changing all the time

I have 2*GC110P and 1*GC110 connected to my Insight Premium account. Yesterday I added 2 new WIFI AP's that have a specific VLAN for SSID Guest and IoT:VLAN33 (Guest) and VLAN44(IoT).

It sounds so simple but it has been nothing but struggle. The switch that I want to configure is one that connects me to my OPNsense router, so it is my " uplink to the internet". On the OPNsense, VLAN adapters for VLAN33 and VLAN44 have been defined, and each has a DHCP server running. So I want to configure VLAN trunks (33,44) on  2 ports: the one that an AP is connected to and the one that OPNsense is connected to.

• So I first changed the port (p3) that my AP is connected to:
    I change the settings, double checked them 3 times before clicking save:DDT3_0-1699090526955.png
  • I wait a couple of minutes to make sure that Cloud and Device settings are in sync and then moved to the Uplink port (p1) to do exactly the same.

And then I lose connection to the internet...

Because of that I can no longer reach the Insight cloud. Luckily I still have 6 ports unchanged , so I move the OPNsense cable to another port (p5). After a while Devices come online again so I can have a look at the settings of the switch..

To find out that somehow for port p1 VLAN33 is now the default. I did not set that ... This kept happening. So at some point I decided: let's just do a factory reset of that switch, add it to insight and start from scratch. That seemed to work, but unfortunately.. this morning I made some changes to the AP (not a netgear product, so another interface all together) to find out that my wifi devices no longer connect to the internet... Default VLAN for p3 changed to 33!!Although I did not touch any of the settings in the insight interface.....

Please note that I have the insight app running on my phone too but after doing the factory reset at 1am this morning, I have made all changes in the web interface (and no changes in the android interface since).

Can someone please tell me what to do to avoid this?

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: VLAN settings keep changing all the time

Does the Insight CLOUD Portal magically hide or suppress the untagged VLAN 1 (for the PVID), too? Guess this is the one you use for simplicity for providing the Internet uplink for the cloud access.

Message 2 of 6
DDT3
Aspirant

As described Insight indeed lost connection. And yes that was because Vlan1 was no longer selected for the "uplink port"
Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@DDT3 wrote:
...and yes that was because Vlan1 was no longer selected for the "uplink port"

In my understanding, this is "uplink port" not configurable. Instead, the uplink port is marked automatically to where the switch does expect the uplink, e.g. toward the Internet, including the Insight cloud.

Still unclear to me why your switch does abandon the untagged network when adding two tagged VLAN ports. 

Lets try to link in @ReneD and @RennaD here please.

Message 4 of 6
DDT3
Aspirant

Indeed the uplink port is not configurable: that is why I put it in between quotes in my original mail, so " Uplink port"  is shorthand for "the port that is connected to my router, that is connected to the internet".

Must admit that at first I of course doubted myself ("did I make a mistake when saving the settings").  So I started making sure to check and double-check all the settings before pressing save. And still saw strange behavior. And when it happened even after a " factory reset" I am quite sure: this is not me. And I already knew not to mix setting from App and setting from web because of this.

Actually, now that everything is working I am very reluctant to make more changes. Especially as it appears you can lock yourself out: on the GC110 a factory reset can only be performed using the web interface.....

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@DDT3 wrote:

Must admit that at first I of course doubted myself ("did I make a mistake when saving the settings").  So I started making sure to check and double-check all the settings before pressing save. And still saw strange behavior

Nothing obvious, as it appears the port was intended to become untagged and PVID for VLAN 1, along with the additional tagged VLANs.

@DDT3 wrote:

Especially as it appears you can lock yourself out: on the GC110 a factory reset can only be performed using the web interface.....

Can't follow your logic here. If a switch does have a wrong config defined in the cloud and deployed from the cloud, it will always receive the same config again from the cloud .- permitting it is able to establish the cloud connectivity following the factory reset, regardless if the factory reset was done from the local Web, the Insight cloud (App or Web portal), or by using the reset button.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements