× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: S8000 or GS116v2?

Jaseuk23
Aspirant

S8000 or GS116v2?

Hi,

I am looking for a switch, ideally with 9 ports. 8 Cat 7a feeds going to various parts of my house. I don't need PoE system. I had through research settled on the GS116v2 model which seemed to suits my needs. My son uses a PS4 so network performance would be important for him and for us the family media setup would cater for 4k streaming. After abit of research the GS116v2 model seemed to meet my needs but then I read about port latency so then I realise would I be better off getting the S8000? There are 3 gigabit ports on the router so I'd have enough ports. Unsure and with no seemingly direct access to Netgear support I opened a account here and created this post.

Advice insight on which switch would be hugely appreciated.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

yes switches can add latency. I usually isn't 20ms but it can be "up to" that amount. My network all runs through a switch and my normal wired ping is around 7-8ms and my wireless 12-20ms depending on if I'm connecting to the router or the AP. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I've got all my wired devices running through a managed switch. And even a coupe unmanaged switches after that.
I've not had any issues with latency/gaming problems.
But I haven't used the S8000 to compare to.
Message 2 of 4
Jaseuk23
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I read a post on these forums the GS116v2 could add as much as 20ms. When I read this I thought there must be a better option. After speaking to a external IT support they said I'd be better off with the S8000. The lack of support from Netgear when looking to buy their products is very disappointing.

It would be good however if someone on these forums has done a direct comparison in their setup.. with merely the switches being swapped.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

yes switches can add latency. I usually isn't 20ms but it can be "up to" that amount. My network all runs through a switch and my normal wired ping is around 7-8ms and my wireless 12-20ms depending on if I'm connecting to the router or the AP. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7