× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AXM762 APC/UPC?

bzt
Tutor
Tutor

AXM762 APC/UPC?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to figure out which fiber patch cables I need for a new M4300 setup using AXM762 SFP+ modules, and coming up short on whether they're APC or UPC.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Pro-AV-over-IP-Switches/Are-LC-APC-connectors-compatible-with-AXM76...

suggests they might be APC, but I can't find anything definite. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Model: AXM762|ProSafe 10G Base-LR SFP+ optical module
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: AXM762 APC/UPC?

All are making use of the same physical LC "Lucent Connector" - the difference is in the connecting ferrule:

For multimode 62.5/125µm (OM1) and 50/125µm (OM3, OM4), LC/PC are used (typically black or grey) on SFP/SFP+ modules. Note: There is typically a black marking on the module.

For single mode 9/125µm fiber connectors, the key difference between UPC and APC connectors is the fiber endface. LC/UPC connectors (typically blue) are polished at no angle, LC/APC connectors ("A"==angled, typically green) feature a fiber endface that is polished at an eight-degree angle. The SFP/SFP+ interfaces for single mode fibers use always LC/UPC. Note: There is typically a blue marking on the module.

Do never plug an LC/UPC into a LC/APC or LC/APC into an LC/UPC - the ferrule can be destroyed, and the fiber transmission quality will be poor!

Said that: I can't agree with the information provided at the link 8-/

Look here - but don't be confused about the green LC/APC connector on the top Cisco metro switch: There is an additional LC adapter in place with a APC to UPC ferrules!

Screenshot_20201104-163955.png

Message 2 of 4
bzt
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, @schumaku! I'm buying patch cables to connect the LC AXM762 to the existing SC ports in the building. The product page turns out to be  a little inconsistent, image-wise - the low resolution image is of the AXM761 (black pull tab), and the high resolution image is the AXM762 (blue pull tab), but that makes sense with the PC/UPC color coding you mentioned.

Anyone know if the AXM762 has a datasheet somewhere? I'm just coming up with the Installation Guide , which is a little brief.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Don't count to much on the marketing images, I had more the installer in front of the rack in mind when talking about the colour markings.

SFP and SFP+ nodules are industry standard material - all are made similar. You might want to google for the product number, various second source available - off Netgear assistance and support however.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements