× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing Management VLAN on GS724TPv.2 and accessing it from local computer on LAN

davidbeard
Aspirant

Changing Management VLAN on GS724TPv.2 and accessing it from local computer on LAN

I am needing some help with changing the default management VLAN on our switches and being able to access them from my desktop on our LAN. I've followed the solution for the topic here titled Howto change management vlanid on gs724T to no avail. Once I make the suggested changes, I loss any connectivity to the switch from my desktop and am forced to factory reset it. Can anyone help me with the complete required steps to make this a reality? I have a test environment setup in which to practice and learn on. I am also very familiar with setting up VLANs on these Netgear switches. Looking forward to any and all assistance I can get. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Changing Management VLAN on GS724TPv.2 and accessing it from local computer on LAN

@davidbeard wrote:

I am needing some help with changing the default management VLAN on our switches and being able to access them from my desktop on our LAN.  

Is this LAN connecting your desktop on a dedicated VLAN, providing access for a defined management IP subnet? Thought it would be obvious there would be a defined management VLAN in the infrastructure for such a purpose. If you define the management VLAN, only systems in this VLAN have access to the management Web UI, SNMP et all.

Message 2 of 4
davidbeard
Aspirant

Re: Changing Management VLAN on GS724TPv.2 and accessing it from local computer on LAN

No, it is not. This is the goal at hand. Currently, the computers and switches are on the same network which I'm trying to address. I have created VLANs for our printers, cameras, VOIP, thermostats, and various wireless networks which are working as they should using SonicWALL, Netgear switches, and UniFi APs. 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Most simple test to start with the management VLAN would be to configure an access port for the management VLAN, untagged, and on the same PVID. Now connect a computer to this port and configure an IP address on the same subnet like your management network.

If having bigger plans, don't forget the IP routing must be workable so for example from your workstation LAN subnet the management IP subnet is reachable in both directions. needless to say, unique subnets and IP addresses must be used.

A little bit lost where you are struggling with this project. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements