× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FS726T VLAN Configuration Help Please

Budgie4
Tutor

FS726T VLAN Configuration Help Please

I have an inherited FS726T which I have to reconfigure slightly.  The objective is to connect two separate lans to one bridge link so that privacy is ensured between the two lans.  Is this possible with this device and how should I achieve it.

If it is possible it seems I shall need to upgrade the firmware as the switch is very old but working reliably.  The reason for the change is that a firewall and family children filter device which used inter alia to perform this function, has been removed.

Grateful for any advice and assistance please.  

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: FS726T VLAN Configuration Help Please

@Budgie4,

Thank you for that information.

The FS726T will suffice the needs of your network in terms of setting up VLAN Trunking. But this switch is kinda bit old that it may cause some issues around your network.

I may suggest you to check out the GS724Tv4.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Budgie4,

Welcome to our community!

Connecting 2 separate lans to one bridge link is what we called Trunking. You may need to create VLANs on the switch in order to achieve this.

Here is a reference for creating VLANs.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
Budgie4
Tutor

Hi and many thanks for the link.  I shall try and sort things out this weekend and call for help if I get stuck.

Regards,

Budgie

Message 3 of 8
Budgie4
Tutor

Sorry but link was no help as graphics and options quite different for this old switch.  I tried using port based system and copied the example in the manual which is available for this device but it did not work.  Still need help.

All I want is to have two different Vlan connect to a bridge and not be able to see each others traffic.  The department model used in the example would be fine if it worked but clearly it is not correct.  Another example for port based Vlan might be OK.  I shall keep looking and trying.

Message 4 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Budgie4,

May I know where are you going to connect this switch? If the port was set to trunk, it should also be connected to a device that supports VLAN Trunking.

Regards,

Message 5 of 8
Budgie4
Tutor

@JohnC_V wrote:

@Budgie4,

May I know where are you going to connect this switch? If the port was set to trunk, it should also be connected to a device that supports VLAN Trunking.

Regards,

Hi and many thanks for the reply.  I shall try and give you the whole picture as briefly as possible.  The infrastructure I am trying to take over is all on one subnet on one port defined at the firewall device.  Unfortunately unspecified and unknown components have been removed so I am having to start over with the switch from a factory reset.  The requirement is quite simple:-

All the subnet clients are in two departments (call them "B" and "C") in a remote building but share a wireless bridge link to the main office "A."  All copper in the remote building terminates at the subject switch I am trying to configure which connects in turn to a Wireless Bridge. 

The wireless bridge device and the ap to which it connects both have fixed in-band ips and the subnet is defined at the firewall port. 

Unfortunately I have not been able get dhcp working across the bridge so at present there is no dhcp from the firewall and I shall need to have a device on the remote end of the bridge to provide addresses in due course. 

The objective is to have both departments connect to main building using shared wireless bridge link from the FS726T switch whilst maintaining confidentiality between the two departments.

The clients in department C only use wifi at present.  The wifi AP has a fixed in band ip address for management purposes and has dhcp server which issues addresses within but not using the whole available range of the subnet.  With FS726T port vlan ports 23, 24 and 25 set to Vlan 2, department C ap connected to port 23 and wireless bridge to port 25 deparment C can access the firewall and get inetrnet access so this works.

The clients in department B will use wifi and copper but at present there is no dhcp providing addresses for any clients in department B.  However if I set up a client pc with suitable fixed ip on subnet and connected to port 5 on the switch I have been unable to connect to main building whatever I try.    

Can I achieve my objective with the present switch or do I need a better device?

Message 6 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Budgie4,

The FS726T will suffice the needs of your network in terms of setting up VLAN Trunking. But this switch is kinda bit old that it may cause some issues around your network.

Regards,

Message 7 of 8
Budgie4
Tutor

@JohnC_V wrote:

@Budgie4,

Regards,

Hi and thanks again.  In spite of your assurances I doubt I shall ever get this switch to do what I want.  I do however have to hand and available an M4100-D12G GSM5212.  Also old but not so old.  I am reading up a bit now and will start a new thread when I get stuck.

Many thanks for your time.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements