× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS110EMX Modem WAN 10Gb Port to Link Aggregation Separate VLAN

vikest
Follower

GS110EMX Modem WAN 10Gb Port to Link Aggregation Separate VLAN

Hey Guys,

So here's what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a modem with a 2.5Gb port that I'd like to connect to my switch using one of the 10G ports. I'd then like to use link aggregation on my router in order to take advantage of my 1.4Gbps internet connection. It's a Synology router that does support link aggregation/load balancing. I already set that up along with the following on the switch:

LAG - Linked ports 1 and 2 using LACP and Admin mode on LAG ID 1. These 2 go to the main WAN port on the router, and port 1 which is marked as WAN 2.

VLAN - to segregate the modem and WAN ports on my router from the rest of the network. I used 802.1Q Advanced mode, separated PVIDs, configured the membership and configuration.

But I cannot get the router to get the DHCP IP from modem and establish the internet connection. I know I'm most likely missing a key step here, or doing it all wrong. I did try a basic config without vlans without success. I also tried using just the one port without link aggreggation and it would not establish the connection with the modem.

Any ideas?

Model: GS110EMX|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2-Port 10G/Multi-Gig Uplinks
Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS110EMX Modem WAN 10Gb Port to Link Aggregation Separate VLAN

@vikest 

Welcome to the Community!

What is the model of your Modem? is it a modem router?
What model of Synology router? Do the router ports also support multi-gig speed?

Can you provide us with a diagram of the setup you made?

A setting may need to be chang on the router or a connection that needs to be corrected to get the WAN IP from the Modem.

Does your ISP provide you with a dynamic WAN? Your ISP should be able to help you out on getting your Modem connected to the router and provide an Internet connection.

The usual connection is Modem>Router>Switch. If you are connecting the Modem to the switch first the switch is getting the IP instead. But if you have tried connecting the modem directly to the router WAN port but still having issue then you need to contact your ISP.

HTH

Model: GS110EMX|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2-Port 10G/Multi-Gig Uplinks
Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS110EMX Modem WAN 10Gb Port to Link Aggregation Separate VLAN

Dear Marc, It's almost everything (relevant) in the OPs post. Thre are reasons for installing switches in the WAN link(s) - as we see from this example.

Of course, if the router would be MultiGig, the complete thread would be obsolete 8-)

@vikest More interesting would be some insight on the VLAN config, the VLAN port configuration just to avoid something is basically wrong, even if I believe in you!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements