× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with routing

captainkawasaki
Aspirant

Help with routing

I just bought a GSM7328Sv2 as a pilot. The plan is to replace our 3Com 7757 modular cores with stacks of GSM's at all our locations. The 3Com cores are the default gateways for the sites. I'm too dumb to get past the initial routing setup on this GSM though. My example is routing to one of our remote sites.
Switch Mgt IP 10.10.4.30
HQ site, 10.10.0.0/16
remote site 10.80.0.0/16
Router at HQ site 10.10.4.1
On our 3Com we simply entered 'ip route 10.80.0.0 255.255.0.0 10.10.4.1' and off it goes, providing routing for all ports/subnets/vlans.
On the GSM, the same command pops an error that says "The specified Static Route Next Hop Router Address can't be in the same subnet as the service/network port."
It looks like maybe I have to enable routing on each port, but that requires assigning IP address to all ports, and it also appears that each IP address has to be on a unique subnet.
I'm obviously not understanding the way the GSM is doing its routing, and it is clearly completely different than 3Com's model. Any help understanding would be greatly appreciated. I set up a chat/remote session with Netgear support but after 15 minutes or so the chat session dropped. I wasn't overly concerned since it didn't appear that he completely understood what I was looking for. Any input greatly appreciated--Thanks in advance--GD
Message 1 of 3
apack
Aspirant

Re: Help with routing

I don't think you have to enable routing on each port, just keep in mind that instead of a management cpu ip address, you may want to assign the same IP address to a layer 3 routing vlan interface. My understanding is that each static route entered will require a l3 routing interface on the same subnet as the next hop. This would entail something like this from a factory state:
network protocol none
vlan database
vlan xxx
vlan routing xxx
exit
show ip vlan
config
ip routing
interface (whatever interface was created by the vlan routing command and displayed at "show ip vlan")
ip address 10.10.4.30 255.255.0.0
exit
ip route 10.80.0.0 255.255.0.0 10.10.4.1
vlan participation all include xxx
vlan port pvid all xxx
exit

By doing this, you're creating a layer 3 routing interface that can also be accessed / used for management, assigning all ports to that vlan (untagged by default) and establishing a route with the next hop being in the same subnet as the routing interface.
Message 2 of 3
captainkawasaki
Aspirant

Re: Help with routing

Did you ever know that you're my heroooo.....
You're everything I would like to be...

That was just what I needed. I added some more test vlans and got them routing, and just for fun slapped in the dhcp relay settings too. Everything works like a champ. Thanks for the directions--GD
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements