× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to configure ports for LAG to VMware host?

dmipg
Follower

How to configure ports for LAG to VMware host?

Hi,

I want to connect two ports from an ESXi host to two ports on this switch to double the throughput. According to VMware I need their ports in IP hash mode to accomplish this. What are the equivalent settings at the Netgear end? Is it "Src/Dest IP and TCP/UDP port fields?" What about Admin, Link Trap, STP, Static settings?

Thanks

Model: M4100-26G (GSM7224v2h2)|ProSafe 26 ports gigabit fully managed L2 switch
Message 1 of 3
tlex
Aspirant

Re: How to configure ports for LAG to VMware host?

Looking for the same... Any tutorial ?

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: How to configure ports for LAG to VMware host?

@dmipg wrote:

I want to connect two ports from an ESXi host to two ports on this switch to double the throughput.

Be aware that a LAG with two link members does not double the throughput under all conditions - there are use cases where everything can be the same, regardless of the hash mode. 

@dmipg wrote:

According to VMware I need their ports in IP hash mode to accomplish this. What are the equivalent settings at the Netgear end? Is it "Src/Dest IP and TCP/UDP port fields?"

That's about the right choice - it's always some kind of combination, not aware there is pure IP only.

@dmipg wrote:

What about Admin, Link Trap, STP, Static settings?

Afraid, you need to figure out if your system does require a static LAG or a dynamic 802.3ad LACP LAG - that's essential to be the very same on both ends.

Admin down would disable the LG interface obviously.

Link trap would trigger an SNMP TRAP if a link and/or the complete LAG goes down.
STP would prohibit loops ... but this requires some more networking config all over. Most business or soroparate netwrks run smarter/faster transition protocols like RSTP at least.
Check this discussion from some days ago -> Where can I find more information about LAG options? 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements