× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Native vlan change on blank switch gs728tpp

Dustynet
Aspirant

Native vlan change on blank switch gs728tpp

Hi,
I have a set of new switches to configure for a site update which require the complete removal of vlan 1 and setting the native vlan to vlan 100 and configure the management IP to 10.0.0.1.
Can you provide the cli commands required to complete this, as after reviewing the terrible help options on the switch and reading the equally bad manual/website, it seems that Netgear doesn't have have a defined process to complete this change.
To make things worse, when looking through the community site it appears that Netgear staff would rather argue over the virtues of making this change instead of providing a clear and concise set of instructions required to achieve this.
From a genuinely concerned IT professional who is on the brink of returning circa 20 switches and choosing a brand which is readily manageable.
Message 1 of 3
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Native vlan change on blank switch gs728tpp

@Dustynet,

Welcome to the community!

When you mean native VLAN, are you referring to the management VLAN?

If so, please refer to page 60 and page 24 of the CLI manual here on how to configure the management VLAN and change the IP address of the switch, respectively.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Dustynet
Aspirant

Re: Native vlan change on blank switch gs728tpp

Hi,

Thanks for the intial response, however as anticipated this is not sufficient information to solve the question I raised.

I have ran through the manual and completed the steps you allude to which results in an inaccessible switch.

I have already worked through the CLI manual using several different attempts at configuring, using both the CLI and the web interface, none of which result in an accessible switch once the configuration steps have been applied.

For additional information, this is connected to an enterprise firewall using ports 23/24 as trunk ports trunking VLANs 1 and 100 right now to allow management.

I also have an additional switch port left as configured out of the box which allows local configuration.

I have a 4th port configured with VLAN 100 only for management once the configuration is applied.

None of the ports prove to provide any access to the switch when attempting to configure management VLAN to 100.

So, again could someone with configuration knowledge of these switches please provide a sample running configuration which I can apply from the CLI / SSH?  

Asking for a running config will (should) at least allow me to see a running test config which I can then update as needed for my needs.

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements