× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Routing Mode/DHCP

COP_IT
Aspirant

Routing Mode/DHCP

Dumb question here sorry, Routing mode should only be enabled on the Core switch correct, all other switches dont require it if i have DHCP helper enabled for every VLAN to each switch.  Second dumb question is does the switch pickup an DHCP ip address for each VLAN that is tagged on the switch.  I have a core stack xsm7224s and then M5300 for each location/department.  Some departments have several VLAN's so each VLAN will give the switch an IP address, or did i miss configure something.  

Model: M5300-52G-POE+ (GSM7252PSv1h2)|Prosafe 48+4 L2+ POE Stackable Managed Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
kevin_hong
Apprentice

Re: Routing Mode/DHCP

Hi COP_IT,

Let me share the article below.  

https://kb.netgear.com/30818/How-to-configure-routing-VLANs-on-a-NETGEAR-managed-switch-with-shared-... 

This article describes how to configure routing VLANs on a NETGEAR managed switch with shared access to the internet.

You can use this example extension to configure non-core switches.

But there are a lot of details that you need to consider, such as network access restrictions between departments or whether each department is allowed to access the Internet....etc

I hope that will be helpful.

Thank you

View solution in original post

Model: XSM7224S|ProSafe 24 ports managed 10G stackable fiber switch
Message 4 of 4

All Replies
kevin_hong
Apprentice

Hi COP_IT,

Welcome my community,please see my answers below.

Routing mode should only be enabled on the Core switch correct,

--- Yes, Correct.

all other switches dont require it if i have DHCP helper enabled for every VLAN to each switch

--- When routing mode only enabled on the core switch, you just need to set DHCP Relay on Core switch.

Second dumb question is does the switch pickup an DHCP ip address for each VLAN that is tagged on the switch

--- No,You just need to give each switch a configuration management address.

Some departments have several VLAN's so each VLAN will give the switch an IP address, or did i miss configure something.  

--- Each vlan should be set ip address on the Core switch as gateway to each network.Other switchs need to configure vlan confguration.

PS: i guess your network topo was "Topo.png",if there's any question, please provide more detailed infomation for your network topo.

Thank you

Message 2 of 4
COP_IT
Aspirant

Lots of questions sorry, trying to make a better network than what is currenly here.  From Core switch should the ports be configured for the Specific VLAN, default vlan 1, another vlan 10, should the ports be configured Untagged for the default vlan or the VLAN ID for the network.  Example Department 1 is 10, department 2 is 20, department 3 is 30, should i untagg those ports on the core switch that go to that network.  Or should i setup the default vlan ID for all the switches as untagged on the core switch and then just tagg the vlan ID per network.  

Model: M5300-52G-POE+ (GSM7252PSv1h2)|Prosafe 48+4 L2+ POE Stackable Managed Switch
Message 3 of 4
kevin_hong
Apprentice

Hi COP_IT,

Let me share the article below.  

https://kb.netgear.com/30818/How-to-configure-routing-VLANs-on-a-NETGEAR-managed-switch-with-shared-... 

This article describes how to configure routing VLANs on a NETGEAR managed switch with shared access to the internet.

You can use this example extension to configure non-core switches.

But there are a lot of details that you need to consider, such as network access restrictions between departments or whether each department is allowed to access the Internet....etc

I hope that will be helpful.

Thank you

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements