× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use of SFP to Router

RichWilson
Aspirant

Use of SFP to Router

What is the technical way to use two SFP ports on this switch to connect to a Nighthawk x6 router.

I have 2 Gbics, with 2 Cat7 RJ-45 cables.  Is there other/additional hardware needed?

This would be the uplink from the swtich to the routher.

Model: GSM7224v2h2 | M4100-26GProSAFE 26-port Gigabit Fully Managed L2 Switch
Message 1 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Use of SFP to Router

Hi RichWilson,

As per checking, the Nighthawk x6 router is already installed with 4 Gb LAN ports which is compatible with your M4100 switch. No need to install any additional hardware for it to work.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Use of SFP to Router

@RichWilson wrote:

What is the technical way to use two SFP ports on this switch to connect to a Nighthawk x6 router.

X6 does translate to Netgear Nighthawk R8000 - this router model does not support the configuration of a port aggregation (LAG, trunk, ...) so taking an advantage of two links might becme difficult. @JohnC_V 

@RichWilson wrote:

I have 2 Gbics, with 2 Cat7 RJ-45 cables.  Is there other/additional hardware needed?

As per the year 2015 M4100 Datasheet the AGM734 isn't listed. Beyond, the AGM734 seems to be supported - as per AGM734 SFP Transceiver 1000BASE-T SFP COPPER RJ45 GBIC is suppoted just on two Netgear switch models. @LaurentMa can you shed some light here please?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements