× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XS708E Slow Throughput?

enkrypt3d
Tutor

XS708E Slow Throughput?

Hi I have my windows PC connected using the X540-T2 NIC with a cat 6A cable and only getting about 400MB/s to my Netgear 524X... Not sure if I should be getting more? Other NAS's should be able to push further right?

my PC specs:
Xeon e5-2699 v4

Asus x99-E WS motherboard

64 GB DDR4 RAM

Message 1 of 4
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: XS708E Slow Throughput?

HI enkrypt3d,

Thanks for sharing your configuration, have you done the tests with a PC directly connected to the NAS or through the switch?  have you notice any performance degradation when  you use the switch ?

Looking at the current set up one of the bottlenecks that could limit to 500MB/s it's the current drive performance, If you are using SATA 500MB/s looks a really good benchmark .  Moreover the type of RAID will also impact on the performance, in this case you should use RAID 0,1 or a combination like RAID10 to get the best performance .

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM 

Message 2 of 4
enkrypt3d
Tutor

I'm using the default XRAID2 setup (RAID5) and there are 4 x 4TB drives SATA 6Gbps... One drive can do roughly 300MB/s so I should be able to see more than 400MB/s...... I have not yet tried connecting directly to the PC though. Doing a sync right now with another NAS that is running - this has not impacted performance at all. Also resync is running. Once these jobs are done I'll retest.

Message 3 of 4
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks enkryptd3,

The 300MB/s it's really in an ideal situation but really difficult to replicate in a real environment, normally we get arround 100MB/s on a really good environment (see below a performance test):

performance_drives.png

With  RAID 5 and 4 drives you can expect to boost the 100MB/s to arround 200-300MB/s consistent throughput.

But please let us know what are your results with your latest tests.

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements