× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Lb2120 firmware update failure

agdodge4x4
Luminary

Lb2120 firmware update failure

It won't update. Reset it a bunch. Rebooted. Doesn't work. How do you get this thing to update?

Testing this device since my mr1100 has been an absolute nightmare hell. Any easy fix?
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
agdodge4x4
Luminary

Re: Lb2120 firmware update failure

Solved.  You have to be in BRIDGE MODE to update this router.

This kind of thing needs to be in the manual, guys.  You can't expect everyone to figure this out for themselves. Smiley Mad

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
agdodge4x4
Luminary

This kind of thing needs to be in the manual, guys.  You can't expect everyone to figure this out for themselves. Smiley Mad

Message 2 of 10
navlrac
Guide

wrote:

Not true.

I've succesfully updated my two LB2120's, one each over LTE and WAN connections, in router mode. It did require a fast and stable LTE connection. Any WAN connection with packet loss will cause firmware download failures (requires a device reboot to recover from).

Note, also, the web UI does not allow firmware update without a SIM inserted. I was able to bypass that by modifying the page in Chrome.

Message 3 of 10
agdodge4x4
Luminary

Not sure what to tell you.  Your procedure didn't work at all.  What it sounds like is a piss poor implementation of hardware and software.  That's not meant as an insult to you.  I've had WAY more than a few netgear devices that just don't work the way some others expect them too.  Just the way the devices behave.  It's par for the course.

I have a screaming fast connection that is stable.  No go.  Literally NO CHANGE TO CONFIGURATION aside from clikcing 'bridge mode' allowed the update to succeed unhindered.  I tried the other way for 2 days just out of curiosity.  It didn't work.

This is a guinea pig device.  It's not anywhere close to the speed of the MR1100 though.  I had such trouble with the other one, I just got a few devices to test out.  I'll return everything except the most stable and quick.

Message 4 of 10
holsteinson
Tutor

It doesnt want to update the firmware neither in Bridge nor router mode   there is a BUG in the firmware upgrade package  it gets to 52% or 54% and it freezes there  PLEASE FIX!!!

Message 5 of 10
navlrac
Guide

Seems Netgear have really stuffed this model. While I managed to update over the WAN port on a fast 100mbit link, and once over LTE (after about 20 attempts with reboot each time) it seems many people havn't been able to.

Much worse issue is that they offer no way to download the firmware to a PC and update via the web interface, so even if a new firmware is provided, many people will have no way to apply it.

Message 6 of 10
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone still have the issue of updating the firmware? Please PM me and I will work with you. Thank you. :]

- Jason N

Message 7 of 10
Brookeville
Aspirant

Jason;

I am ready to purchase a Netgear LB-1120.  My application will require proper functionality of the bridge mode feature.  I have been following the realted blog/support/Netgear forum threads for several weeks.  There have obviously been some firmware upgrades that correct the problems of bridge mode operation which was evidently problematic in the earlier versions of the LB-1120 shipments.  TWO related questions;

1.What is the current version of firmware that is shipping with the LB-1120?

2.Is that version available on new shipments as of a particular date i.e.,  October ##, 2017? or some other date  and how do I I.D. the proper serial sequence, etc?.  BOTTOM LINE:  If possible I would like to avoid having to perform a software update on a new unit if polssible!  Please advise.  THANKS, Stan

Message 8 of 10
holsteinson
Tutor

Tried today in bridge and router and both cases the firmware update stopped at 52% on my LB2120

Message 9 of 10
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Brookeville,

As for the LB1120. The firmware depends on when the device was manufactured. The LB1120 will notify you when there is a new firmware to upgrade to. You have the choice of approving or denying it the first few times. Eventually it will just upgrade to the new firmware on its own. As for the security updates, those will auto update.

Hi Holsteinson,

I will PM you now to collect some information from you. 

- Jason N

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7