× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR1100-100NAS Boot Loop and Powers Off

crawfordj
Follower

MR1100-100NAS Boot Loop and Powers Off

Brand new MR1100-100NAS. Went to Verizon worked with associate to get a plan and micro sim purchased. Went well. She installed sim and booted up router. Everything worked. Successfully connected mobile phones (Android and Apple). She turned off device and I put it back in the box to bring back to office. Back at office could not get device to fully power up. It appears to be stuck in a boot loop. Will turn on, orange led, and Netgear splash screen. Will cycle through that three times and eventually power off. Will then not power back on unless I remove the battery. I have tried removing sim, power with out batter installed, power with only battery, resetting via holding reset switch for over five seconds.
Message 1 of 7
mobileguy
Aspirant

Re: MR1100-100NAS Boot Loop and Powers Off

I just had this same experience on my MR1100-100NAS model that I have used almost every day since early Sept 2018 on AT&T network. the device will never boot sucessfully, just does the reboot loop as you describe. Went through troubleshooting steps over the phone yesterday, Netgear tells me they will replace device under the 1 year warranty, however they have none of this model in stock right now. Not sure what is going to happen. 

Message 2 of 7
mobileguy
Aspirant

Updating with additional information. I have not heard back from anyone at Netgear yet. My router was also the 100NAS model. I also tried with power only, power w/ battery installed, battery-only, etc. I was never able to get the device to perform a "factory reset" because of the state it is in. I have factory reset my failed model and another identical model in past so I am familiar with that process, but once the router gets in this state, have not found a way to get it out the reboot loop of death. 

Message 3 of 7
Orion007
Aspirant

Wonder if this is related to the new firmware that was released yesterday?
Message 4 of 7
mobileguy
Aspirant

Can you be more specific about the firmware release you are referring to? I see notices about new firmwares in this forum but most of them are not for United States or AT&T which is the main carrier supporting most users of the Nighthawk MR1100 in the US. 

Message 5 of 7
mobileguy
Aspirant

I will also add I have another 100NAS model that is still working and I also use on AT&T on a daily basis. It has at this point been weeks since my other 100NAS died. And in those weeks, the other identical model has not given any indication of downloading or applying a firmware update. And this unlocked version does have the "check for updates" button which I have triggered manually as well. I get the message "No Update available... Current firmware is up to date". I do not get an error as many have reported lately. So I don't think in my case this is because of a new firmware, but I don't have enough information to prove it. 

Message 6 of 7
mobileguy
Aspirant

I don't see a way to edit previous posts so posting replies. I wanted to add I have also used both the admin UI web page (192.168.1.1 by default) and the Netgear iOS app to check for firmware. Both report firmware is up to date. the firmware version reported is NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00 . This firmware has a "build date" of 2018/07/25. This is the same firmware for both my North America Unlocked (100NAS) and my AT&T branded (Netgear Nighthawk MR1100. I am in United States and only use AT&T network with these devices. I have not heard of other users getting prompted for firmware updates either (I am in another forum with users in multiple areas of the country). 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7