× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear Nighthawk M1 Charging Issues

YousefJ
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk M1 Charging Issues

Hello, so I’ve been using the NETGEAR Nighthawk M1 MR1100 Mobile Router for a while now. And I noticed a little issue with the charging, whenever I leave it charging overnight (while it’s at 13% of charge) and check back in the morning, it doesn’t charge as fast meaning it will be at about 24% after a day of charging. And this really annoys me because I always take my Mobile Router with me whenever I go outside, and it always runs out of battery because of this issue.

Before you ask me these:

1- I cleaned the Gold contacts both on the battery and the device.
2- I soft restarted the device.
3- I took out the battery out of the device and waited for over 30 seconds.
4- The cable is not damaged nor the battery or the device it self. (I doubled checked).
Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter, A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M1 Charging Issues

are you using the officially supplied charger?  I couldn't find the specific power requirements but I'd check the power supply to make sure its giving the MR1100 enough amperage to fully charge it. 

Message 2 of 11
YousefJ
Aspirant

Hello, Plemans. Yes, I think I am using the official charging adapter. The Type is: B07LF. Input is: 100-240V ~ 50/60 HZ. Output is: 5.0 V — 2.0 A. Would that be enough power for it to charge properly? By the way, keep in mind that this happened pretty recently, not when I first bought the router. The first time I bought the router did not have this charging issue.
Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

My bet would either be the charger going bad or battery going bad. 

1. how long have you had it?Lithium has an expected shelf/usage life like a phone.

2. Do you have any other chargers you could try that at least hit that charging specs? 

3. Have you changed cables recently? a bad cable could reduce power supplied. Or do you have a backup cable you could try to charge with?

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

have you restarted the device? Maybe its got a process running thats pulling a significan amount of power?

Message 5 of 11
YousefJ
Aspirant

See below:

1- If you’re talking about how long I’ve had the device for (including the battery itself). I’ve had it for about 6-7 months.
2- I have other chargers that I could use but I am not entirely sure if it’s safe to use since I am not sure about the MR1100 power requirements, I will have to do research on that.
3- I haven’t changed cables at all, the official cable is plugged into the official adapter ever since I bought the router (MR1100).
Message 6 of 11
YousefJ
Aspirant

I have restarted the device several times by the problem keeps occurring.
Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

You should be safe with a 2.4a 5v charger. The device pulls what power it requires. I'd try a different cable, then different charger.

It should be under warranty if it's only 7 months old. You could file a support ticket to get that process started before warranty runs out
Message 8 of 11
YousefJ
Aspirant

Sounds good. But I just realised I do not have a USB-C cable. I will try to use another adapter that is capable of 2.5–5V. I’ll let you know when different things starts to happen. Thank you.
Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

5v-2.4amp. The 5volt is the key.
Message 10 of 11
Oxygene
Apprentice

All Netgear routers have problems with battery charging. It looks like it is because router gets hot and they don't want to risk a fire. Just turn it off completely at night and charge it. I have some problems too while using a router and charging it at the same time... 810 model had the same issue.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7