× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) firmware update

Mexoh1To7k
Apprentice

Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) firmware update

Hi,

I've got an unlocked Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) V1.0 from Telstra. Since I'm using it in another country I'm unable to have the firmware updated and it's currently running a very ancient version.

I've seen posts from Netgear's employees providing assistance in getting the device updated and I'd be glad if I could have mine updated too.

PRI: 01.16

Firmware version: NTG9X50C_10.12.02.01

Hardware version: 1.0

Thank you

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 1 of 27
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Re: Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) firmware update

Message 2 of 27
Mexoh1To7k
Apprentice

It's not valid for my firmware's version as the file upload is not available.

Message 3 of 27
W1lliam
Virtuoso

oh, yes, firmware upload is enabled after NTG9X50C_1.25.01.00, mine was on same version as you and tried for several weeks to upgrade the firmware via "Check for Updates" button, one day it works for no reason. You might want to keep trying for a period of time

Message 4 of 27
Mexoh1To7k
Apprentice

But did you do it from Telstra's network?

Message 5 of 27
W1lliam
Virtuoso

no, the upgrade was done from the other country with local telecom vendor as my M1 is unlocked.

Message 6 of 27
Mexoh1To7k
Apprentice

Ok, I'll keep trying.

Did you have any charging issue with the old firmware?

Mine reboots at the slightest load when powered on without the battery and when the battery is in it barely charge, stop charging and then discharges until I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.

Disabling the WiFi and setting the device to charge only with the USB is helping a little but that's not enough.

I think the device is pretty much defective but I still want to have a chance to update it.

Message 7 of 27
W1lliam
Virtuoso

I don't charge the battery while using M1, plugged with QC charger would eliminate a lot of power supply issues. Only charge the battery off the line, i.e. while not using M1, turn it off while charging. It sometimes driving too much current out from the battery if you charge it while using M1 and that is causing M1 getting hot so battery seems not working well in that condition.

Message 8 of 27
Mexoh1To7k
Apprentice

Mmm, my Nighthawk is meant to be used on a static installation and powered on 24/7 thus without the battery.

I have tried a 4A charger and it didn't really help.

Message 9 of 27
W1lliam
Virtuoso

I am using QC3.0 charger

Message 10 of 27
Mexoh1To7k
Apprentice

Would yours really encounter the reboots if plugged in a standard USB port?

Message 11 of 27
W1lliam
Virtuoso

I never use its USB port, either for Tethering and/or Charge. Set its USB port for Charge Only though.

Message 12 of 27
Mexoh1To7k
Apprentice

Hurray, after multiple reboots it finally found the update. It even updated without the battery in.

I haven't experienced an unexpected reboot yet. IP passthrough is also working, which is what I needed the most.

However now it seems that I'm getting high latency and packet loss with the ethernet port.

Message 13 of 27
Mexoh1To7k
Apprentice

Disabling UPnP solved the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Message 14 of 27
BStaging
Aspirant

I'm looking to do something similar to you - to have the Nighthawk run as a modem 24/7 and plugged via Ethernet into a wifi router. Anyone had luck using:

1. NightHawk MR1100 plugged into a R7000 router via Ethernet 

2. DHCP server role on the Nighthawk

3. Access the Micro SD card via http on the Nighthawk

Basically I need to have more than the max 20 devices connected.. otherwise just the Nighthawk MR1100 wouldve done the complete job.

Message 15 of 27
Mexoh1To7k
Apprentice

I'm not sure that the 20 devices is enforced, it's probably just a suggestion. The only way they could enforce it would be by limiting the ARP table and that sounds ridiculous.

Otherwise, set the netgear in IP Passthrough and run a dhcp client on the router for the M1 to route the IP to your additional router.

Message 16 of 27
codebluetm
Aspirant

I have a similar issue with my M1 nighthawk. It seems to me that it reboots when 4G signal is low, and does that whether the battery is in or it's pluggin in without the battery.

It's on firmware version NTG9X50C_10.12.02.01 and won't update. Tried the check for update button as well as rebooting it countless times but still won't update.

Contacted Netgear support and they said it might be faulty hardware.

Could the update be restricted to certain networks?

Message 17 of 27
W1lliam
Virtuoso

The upgrade seems to have constrain with Telstra server, try to proceed the upgrade during night time from Australia might help. I did several times, at different date, and it proceeding the upgrade eventually.

Message 18 of 27
codebluetm
Aspirant

Problem is i'm in another country. I even tried to connect via VPN to australia but it seems the router only uses the 4G connection to check for the update.

Message 19 of 27
W1lliam
Virtuoso

I was doing the upgrade from different country other than Australia, so the country you are staying isn't a problem but avoid day time from Australia might help.

Message 20 of 27
hvelderr
Tutor

Use IP pass through, connect hotspot Ethernet to internet port of R7000, and you should be able to use the R7000 as the WiFi source.
I’m using the R7800, but having issues with Double NAT and Strict NAT does anyone have any solutions not offered on these forums? I have yet to verify if VPN works and if combining DMZ with port forwarding (trouble with identifying which of 6 ip addresses is the one I need for forwarding ports)
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 21 of 27
hvelderr
Tutor

Here is the current update: NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00_ATT_03.12

The details

Release date: September 17, 2018
Firmware version: NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00_ATT_03.12
File size: 109MB
The updates

What's changing: AP isolation and Licensed Assisted Access (LAA)

-This update for AT&T devices
ALSO new data plan coming out end of year and new hotspot so, just FYI
I’ll check back to look into a couple more things
Message 22 of 27
lotnik34
Aspirant

Hello file updated? Download na
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 23 of 27
Merodz
Aspirant

Hi!

Did you resolve it , I have a same issu !?

Message 24 of 27
Mexoh1To7k
Apprentice

If you experience difficulties in getting the firmware updated because you have an old version that doesn't have the manual update procedure, you should simply keep trying over and over and it will eventually work.

Otherwise you may have to contact Netgear's support.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7