Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't activate Netgear Armor after being forced to downgrade firmware on cable modem router (CAX30)

nlhoskins
Aspirant

Can't activate Netgear Armor after being forced to downgrade firmware on cable modem router (CAX30)

Nighthawk CAX30 cable modem router (I can only select the CAX30S as an Associated Product but this is definitely a CAX30).

Formerly, firmware 2.3.10.

Purchased Netgear Armor to be sure that was -not- the issue. 

Followed both steps in Netgear's kb about CAX30 not connecting to internet.

Downgraded firmware to 1.4.11.2 based on suggestion from users in Netgear and/or Xfinity forums. Only did so after all other suggestions from Netgear and Xfinity had no impact on the issue. 

My Netgear Armor subscription is no longer recognized by my Nighthawk CAX30. My preference would be for a full refund because I bought it under the impression that something was faulty on my end. It now appears there was something faulty on Netgear's end, given that the firmware is no longer available for download.

I'm currently staring at a bright red banner in this forum that says, "We are aware of an issue affecting Nighthawk CAX30 Cable Modem Routers that may have resulted in an interruption of internet service. For instructions to restore Internet connectivity click here." but the linked kb article says nothing about downgrading from a retracted firmware. This feels like an oversight at best, disingenuous and false advertising at worst given that Netgear is failing to disclose that the fault appears to lie in their own firmware, not a subsequent setting. 

Also notable that the now-retracted firmware (2.3.10) was in response to a serious security flaw (PSV-2022-0195) and I'm now being forced to choose between exposing myself to this vulnerability -OR- purchasing a brand new, usable device. 

How do I get a refund for a purchase I would never have made if it weren't for a faulty product?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Can't activate Netgear Armor after being forced to downgrade firmware on cable modem router (CAX

You'd need to contact customer service to get a refund for armor. Its not something that can be done through the community support forums. 

Message 2 of 3
nlhoskins
Aspirant

Re: Can't activate Netgear Armor after being forced to downgrade firmware on cable modem router (CAX

I understand this, but it isn't clear which customer service I'm supposed to contact or which remediation is available to me. I've logged into my Netgear account and selected My Support. I'm then presented with multiple options to contact support for my hardware, and further down the page I see a section for Netgear Armor under the header "Services" with three links.

None of this is intuitive, so I'm trying to leave a publicly available trail of the steps I've had to follow in the hopes it helps the next person since I couldn't find a helpful explanation anywhere. 

In the end, I used the link to Get Support under my hardware and chose the Email option because the Chat option was grayed out with the message, "The chat queue is busy right now. Try again soon." and I don't have an indefinite period of time to spend on the phone. Notable that the email option only allows 150 characters in the body, so I wasn't able to state much more than 'Want refund for Netgear Armor; firmware bad.'

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series