Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Denial of Service from IP to Local PC, which is the same (RAX70)

Beus
Tutor

Denial of Service from IP to Local PC, which is the same (RAX70)

Hello,

Since today I get alot of notifications that my local PC (which has Bitdefender Total Security installed) is involved in an DoS attack:

"NETGEAR Armor blocked a Denial of Service attack involving <PC Name>".

If you click on it, it says: Netgear Armor detected and blocked a Denial of Service attack on <PC Name> from 10.0.0.7.

But the funny thing is that PC has IP 10.0.0.7.

What is going wrong? The first time my internet connection got blocked, but then Netgear Armor generated an Vulnerability report. After PC restart I still get those notifications but my internet connection is still working. 

I hope someone can clarify this and what I can do about this.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Beus
Tutor

Re: Denial of Service from IP to Local PC, which is the same (RAX70)

The solution is to disable "Port scan protection". In my case in Bitdefender. But I guess it could also happen in any other security software solution.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
MickMorrison
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem with my XR1000, also since installed the BitDefender and shows no vulnerability. Haven't tried hooking up the laptop to see if it has the same issue, no other device causes it.
No loss of connectivity, but over 100 blocked DoS from my PC. I'm an IT tech and keep my system secure, so unlikely a real threat.
But an actual answer from a Netgear rep would be nice.
Message 2 of 4
Beus
Tutor

Thanks for your reply.

I am also an IT tech guy, and I found out that this happens when your Netgear Armor performs an port scan on your devices in the network.

And I also found out that it is Bitdefender (BD) on the PC that blocks the router IP.

So first I tried to whitelist the router in BD in the firewall settings, wel that did not work. After that I found under the firewall settings an "Port scan protection" option. I have disabled that now. 
I have the feeling that that is the protection from your PC that blocks your router, since the Netgear Armor is performing an port scan.

And I also don't feel like you compromise the protection of your PC since you still have the Netgear Armor in your network between your ISP and PC.

And yes this forum is dead, very sad. Guess we have to look for another community for help in the future if the need arises.

Message 3 of 4
Beus
Tutor

The solution is to disable "Port scan protection". In my case in Bitdefender. But I guess it could also happen in any other security software solution.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7