Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Insight wireless network works, but creating new VLAN does not receive IPs via DHCP

chamaelion
Initiate

Insight wireless network works, but creating new VLAN does not receive IPs via DHCP

Hello - I have an insight-managed network consisting of the following hardware:

1 x GC108PP

3 x WAX610

I also have a Netgate 6100 running pfsense, acting as firewall, gateway, and DHCP server.  The GC108PP is uplinked to a dedicated physical interface on the 6100 for handling all wireless traffic.  Other interfaces separate out LAN and a DMZ for web-facing servers.

This configuration is working perfectly.  Wired and wireless clients can see eachother and the internet, in accordance with rules applied in pfsense.  I can successfully connect wireless clients to the APs, either via DHCP or static assignments.  All of this is currently taking place via a single SSID, running on the default Management VLAN(1).

The issue I'm having is when I try to segment my wireless traffic using VLANs...

I have created a separete test VLAN with ID of 50 in pfsense, assigned it under the physical WIFI interface, assigned an IPv4 IP range, and enabled DHCP (not really relevant to the Netgear forum, but added to show this setup has been done).

I have also created a VLAN using the Insight Wired VLAN Wizard as follows:

• Assigned ID of 50
  • Assigned the 3 ports on the GC108PP where the APs are connected, and assigned as TRUNK
  • Created a new SSID with password for this VLAN
  • Have tried both DHCP and None for IP Assignment

After the wizard closes, the vlan is created successfully, and wireless clients can see the new test SSID and try to connect.

• Logs in Insight show the client connects, but is unable to obtain an IP address.
  • Logs in pfsense show no activity on the VLAN interface, and no activity on the VLAN DHCP service.

I am also unable to connect to the VLAN if I assign a static IP address to the client (with an IP on the correct subnet, but outside the DHCP range), the same messages show in the Insight logs.

Clients connected to the existing SSID running on the Management VLAN(1) are unaffected by any of these tests, and maintain their connection flawlessly (unless I reboot the gateway or other infrastructure, see below).

I have deleted and recreated the above setup in both Insight and on pfsense many, many times, including full reboots of all infrastructure before and after each test - all tests yield the same results.

I feel that I'm missing something fundamental - any assistance offered that leads to a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
chamaelion
Initiate

Re: Insight wireless network works, but creating new VLAN does not receive IPs via DHCP

OK - Justin from Netgear Chat Support has helped me resolve the issue.

I was neglecting to also set the UPLINK as TRUNK when setting up my VLAN.  *facepalm*

Thank you Netgear Support!

View solution in original post

Model: GC108PP|Insight Managed 8-port Gigabit Ethernet High-Power PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with FlexPoE Power
Message 2 of 2

All Replies
chamaelion
Initiate

Re: Insight wireless network works, but creating new VLAN does not receive IPs via DHCP

OK - Justin from Netgear Chat Support has helped me resolve the issue.

I was neglecting to also set the UPLINK as TRUNK when setting up my VLAN.  *facepalm*

Thank you Netgear Support!

Model: GC108PP|Insight Managed 8-port Gigabit Ethernet High-Power PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with FlexPoE Power
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements