Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Remove the New Parental Controls

CrimpOn
Guru

How to Remove the New Parental Controls

I have never activated any form of Parental Controls on my Orbi, which is on firmware 2.7.2.104.

I also seldom use the Orbi "app".

When researching a question about the Orbi satellite "Connected Devices" display being incorrect, I opened the Orbi app (Android V2.8.6.1417) and found:

• The apps Network Map displays correct information about devices attached to each satellite.
  • The apps Device Manager thinks I have 117 devices attached to my Orbi rather than 35.
    There are multiple occurances of some devices.
  • The app thinks that I am half way through setting up Parental Controls and keeps encouraging me to finish.
    Any icon I press on the Parental Controls page says "that is a Premium feature.  Want to sign up for a 30 day free trial?"

I do not want Parental Controls.  How to I "unactivate" Parental Controls? 

The Orbi web interface has no menu entry for Parental Controls.

The Orbi "app" has no method to remove Parental Controls.

Do I need to install a different firmware version to make Parental Controls go away?  Which version?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to Remove the New Parental Controls

Yes, that should work. After I selected "upgrade to NG PC" button, PC was totally GONE from the RBRs web page and Orbi app. 

I'm waiting on feedback as well. Christian send me a new activation code however I see no place to input that in the Circle app. I sent him feedback and waiting on his return. I'm trying to validate a possible problem with circle and Facebook however can't do that until I get circle enabled fully. Noticed that on two different devices, FB content wasn't loading or being updated in days after I had started using Circle and PC. After Circle was disabled or using a different wifi router, FB started udpating. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

So I happened to disable mine by accident by selecting the "Upgrade to NG SPC button" seen here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Missing-parental-controls-on-firmwar...

The RBR rebooted and was gone from the RBRs UI and Orbi app. 

If yours is not seen on the RBRs UI like mine was after the RBR rebooted but still in Orbi app, I would do the following in a Chrome browser console:

Go to advance tab on the RBRs web page, then use browser menu to "View" -> "Developer" -> "JavaScript Console"

Type the following into the console then hit enter:

click_adv_action('circle_parental');

This will bring the PC controls back into the RBRs web page as seen above. I would reboot the RBR for a clean boot

For you I would select the "Upgrade to NG SPC button" here and have the RBR reboot. This should fully disable PC and should no longer be seen on the Orbi app and RBRs web page. 

PC seems to have been setup and included in v102 after a factory reset as seen above. Applying v104 on top of it keeps PC enabled if it was enabled in v104. PC controls are now under the Basic Tab. No longer under Advanced tab. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If yours is not seen on the RBRs UI like mine was after the RBR rebooted but still in Orbi app, I would do the following in a Chrome browser console:

Go to advance tab on the RBRs web page, then use browser menu to "View" -> "Developer" -> "JavaScript Console"

Type the following into the console then hit enter:

click_adv_action('circle_parental');

This will bring the PC controls back into the RBRs web page as seen above. I would reboot the RBR for a clean boot

For you I would select the "Upgrade to NG SPC button" here and have the RBR reboot. This should fully disable PC and should no longer be seen on the Orbi app and RBRs web page. 

PC seems to have been setup and included in v102 after a factory reset as seen above. Applying v104 on top of it keeps PC enabled if it was enabled in v104. PC controls are now under the Basic Tab. No longer under Advanced tab. 

I have to be careful when to reboot the Orbi, as that causes total disruption for my "domestic environment".  I have the "sort Attached Devices mod installed, and every time the Orbi reboots, I have to telnet in and copy it to the /www directory because rebooting seems to restore the entire web interface.  Do I understand the sequence correctly:

• Reboot "just for luck".
  • Use Javascript Console to enter that command to cause PC to reappear on the web page.
  • Select Parental Controls and select "Upgrade to NG SPC"
    (That's it. No entering any data. No signing up for a "test", etc.)
  • Reboot Orbi again (or will it reboot automatically?)
  • From now on, PC will not appear in the web interface or in the Orbi "app"?

I appreciate the help.  Have noticed that sending a private message to forum moderator got no response and that there is almost zero conversation in the new Parental Controls forum.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, that should work. After I selected "upgrade to NG PC" button, PC was totally GONE from the RBRs web page and Orbi app. 

I'm waiting on feedback as well. Christian send me a new activation code however I see no place to input that in the Circle app. I sent him feedback and waiting on his return. I'm trying to validate a possible problem with circle and Facebook however can't do that until I get circle enabled fully. Noticed that on two different devices, FB content wasn't loading or being updated in days after I had started using Circle and PC. After Circle was disabled or using a different wifi router, FB started udpating. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for providing the method to disable Parental Controls.  It is now "disabled" on the web interface and "off" on the Orbi app.

Parental Controls now appears on the Basic Tab menu and on the Advanced Tab Security menu. (It did not appear before even though the app thought it was enabled.)

I do not mind that PC shows up on the menu. The important thing is that the app is no longer bugging me to "complete my setup" and to put devices into groups, etc.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl, glad you got that disabled. 

Now if I can just get mine setup with Circle again. If not, then I'll disable it and move on. Theres some app and FW tuning needed. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7