× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD with ReadyNAS Pro 2

SuperNASman
Aspirant

APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD with ReadyNAS Pro 2

I originally tried connecting my APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD to my ReadyNAS Pro 2, but the cable I was using was a male USB to female USB with a USB to RJ-45 adapter connected to it.

My understanding now is that the RJ-45 to USB adapter is essentially useless because RJ-45 actually has different electrical requirements or something, and I suspect this is the reason why my UPS never showed up as connected or functioning in ReadyNAS Frontview.

Can anyone confirm that the APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD is compatible with the ReadyNAS Pro 2?

And can anyone recommend a place that I can buy a proper USB to RJ-45 data cable to connect my UPS to my NAS?

Private messages are fine if links are not allowed.

Thank you for your time everyone. I appreciate it.
Message 1 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

Re: APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD with ReadyNAS Pro 2

The specs for that UPS suggest that it has USB connectivity, why can you not use a standard USB cable?
Message 2 of 13
SuperNASman
Aspirant

Because the data port on the UPS is RJ-45. You use an RJ-45 to USB Cable.

See the picture of the dataport here - http://www.apc.com/products/moreimages.cfm?partnum=BX1300LCD

I thought RJ-45 to USB was the standard for connecting a UPS to a device for monitoring. I just don't know where to get the cable; I don't have the original.
Message 3 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

Of course!
I'd like to say I meant a standard UPS USB cable but that's not what I said.
Can you not buy one?
I'm in the UK and they seem to be available online in quite a few places-expensive though.
Message 4 of 13
SuperNASman
Aspirant

I suppose I will be able to find some online as well, but I also wanted to make sure it is indeed compatible before I go buy one.

Thanks for the reply.
Message 5 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

A few here are APC branded.
I would expect that APC would sell them as well, and they do here:
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/in ... tryCode=gb
Message 6 of 13
SuperNASman
Aspirant

Do you have any idea why these cables are so much more expensive than a regular cable?

Just curious; maybe it's the thing about the electrical impedances and such.
Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

They aren't commonly used, so they are more expensive. There's nothing special about the cable.
Message 8 of 13
SuperNASman
Aspirant

I will get the cable and attempt to report back on compatibility concerning Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD and ReadyNAS Pro 2.

Since there is nothing special about the cable, do you have any idea why the RJ-45 to USB adapter isn't working?

I've always wondered about the little plastic casing that has a diameter much larger than the cable itself that is found on these cables. I think that must have something to with it (i.e. impedance).
Message 9 of 13
fastfwd
Virtuoso

SuperNASman wrote:
Since there is nothing special about the cable, do you have any idea why the RJ-45 to USB adapter isn't working?

Yes. RJ45 is incompatible with USB in every way, so an RJ45-to-USB adapter contains a microcontroller and plenty of circuitry to perform the translation between the two.

Your UPS, though, doesn't speak RJ45. It speaks standard USB with only one difference from other USB devices: Instead of a standard USB socket, it has an RJ45 socket. In other words, the signals on the wire are no different from USB; it's just the shape of the connector at the end of the wire that's different. You don't need or want a USB-to-RJ45 adapter; that adapter will do too much. What you need is simply a USB cable with the device-side plug cut off and replaced with an RJ45 plug.

You can pay $35 to APC for their cable or you can buy one from a third party (like Amazon) for less than half that price. Or you can make your own; wiring diagrams are on the web. If you buy a third-party cable, make sure you're buying one with an 8-pin RJ45 connector; APC later switched to 10-pin RJ50 connectors.
Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

fastfwd: I think you are confusing RJ45 with ethernet in the first part of your post (edit).

SuperNASman - you might want to confirm that you have an RJ45 connector (instead of an RJ50). The RJ50 has 10 pins, the RJ45 has 8.
Message 11 of 13
fastfwd
Virtuoso

StephenB wrote:
fastfwd: I think you are confusing RJ45 with ethernet in the first part of your post (edit).

It was more like using the OP's terminology to avoid having to explain too much... But you're right; I probably should have bitten the bullet and explained that the 8P8C connectors that are described in the RJ45 standard are so commonly used to terminate twisted-pair Ethernet cables that an "X-to-RJ45" adapter is undoubtedly not actually that, but really an X-to-Ethernet-over-twisted-pair-terminated-with-an-8P8C-connector adapter. So his USB-to-RJ45 adapter is trying to translate between USB electrical signals carrying CDC protocol and 100BASE-TX electrical signals carrying Ethernet protocol. And with or without the explanation, he doesn't need or want that; he just needs a USB cable that's terminated in the right kind of plug, with the USB wires connected to the right pins of that plug.
Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

fastfwd wrote:
StephenB wrote:
...And with or without the explanation, he doesn't need or want that; he just needs a USB cable that's terminated in the right kind of plug, with the USB wires connected to the right pins of that plug.
Agreed. Either the real APC cable or a knockoff.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements