× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Avoid Seagate ST8000VN0002 - Horrible noise issue!

gonegolfin
Aspirant

@mdgm wrote:

Perhaps try connecting the disk to a different PC?

Yes, I have tried connecting to multiple PCs ... multiple laptops with a USB adapter ... and multiple towers connecting directly to the motherboard. I receive the same error after initiating the seaflashlin command to update the firmware.

Brian

Message 51 of 65
gonegolfin
Aspirant

@cmassey wrote:

Hey GoneGolfin,

I too have the ST8000NE0001 drives.

I've tried 3 different desktops and 2 different laptop (with 2 different USB docks) and all failed to update the drives.  Different machines get further than others but sadly all fail.

I just need to go back to Seagate and see what to do next.

Cheers

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Seems we are in a similar boat. If the firmware upgrade is truly fussy about the SATA adapter, it would be nice if Seagate could provide some guidance as to what is likely to work.

Brian

Message 52 of 65
cmassey
Guide

Hey Brian,

Out of interest what is the current firmware on the hard drive?

Mine are/were PN02, and the original firmware I was given was incompatible.

I have just received a new firmware update:

EntNASHDD-MakaraPlus-STD-SATA-512E-PNA2

This lists PN02 firmware as compatible, whereas the original firmware I was given only listed PN01.

It is so nice to finally have silent HDD's 🙂

PS.  If you have issues with the bootable USB for the firmware update Seagate now also has a Windows firmware update tool to run from the command line.

I hope this extra info helps someone else.

Message 53 of 65
gonegolfin
Aspirant

@cmassey wrote:

Hey Brian,

Out of interest what is the current firmware on the hard drive?

Mine are/were PN02, and the original firmware I was given was incompatible.

I have just received a new firmware update:

EntNASHDD-MakaraPlus-STD-SATA-512E-PNA2

This lists PN02 firmware as compatible, whereas the original firmware I was given only listed PN01.

It is so nice to finally have silent HDD's 🙂

PS.  If you have issues with the bootable USB for the firmware update Seagate now also has a Windows firmware update tool to run from the command line.

I hope this extra info helps someone else.

Hi cmassey.

My drives are of the type Seagate Model #ST8000NE0001 (Part # 1WN112). The firmware I currently have on my drive is PN02. The firmware I was given (which does not work) is EN01.

Yes, the firmware I was given also only listed PN01 as compatible (in the docs), but Seagate tech support swore that it could be used to upgrade from PN02. Obviously it is not.

It sounds like I need EntNASHDD-MakaraPlus-STD-SATA-512E-PNA2. Thank you so much!

I have had no problems with the bootable USB (from my Mac), but it is nice to know that the Windows tool is now available.

Thanks,

Brian

Message 54 of 65
gonegolfin
Aspirant

Message 55 of 65
pshadoko
Aspirant

Hi dear Brian,

I have exactly the same issue with a ST8000VN0001 part 1WN112. No response from seagate.

Have you fixed this issue? If you answer yes, could you please share your experience and enventualy tools you got from support.

Best regards.

David

Message 56 of 65
cmassey
Guide

Hey David,

You really need to keep contacting Seagate as you need the firmware specific to your model drive and current firmware revision.

Cheers

Message 57 of 65
pshadoko
Aspirant

I did it and they give me the EntNASHDD-MakaraPlus-STD-SATA-512E-EN01 fw wich is not compatible like Brian said with PN02.

I have tried to intuite them to look at the PNA2 firmware, but no response at this time. I'l try a new call soon.

I'm just hopping that if you experienced exactly the same problem with your HDD and support you could give me a little push.

Thank you, and of course sorry for my english.

Message 58 of 65
pshadoko
Aspirant

Just to say that I finally obtain from support the ENASHDD-MakaraPlus-SATA_StdOEM-PNA2.LOD firmware.

The flash process worked on my ST8000NE0001-1WN112 with PN02 base firmware.

I used both windows executable and the linux boot usb disk and the two worked.

Hope it can help other people.

Salutations.

Message 59 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I do not have a solution, but would like to offer a possible workaround.

As you say the disks a creating the humming when being idle, why not just enable spin-down. At least you will experience some relief until you might hopefully get a final solution. Once the spin-down is applied the disks should be silent until they wake up the next time. So, silence as long they have nothing to do  due to applied spin-down.

In case you already enabled spindown, just please ignore my comment.

Message 60 of 65
nsne
Virtuoso

Spin-down doesn't help. The only remedy is the firmware update. Fortunately, after the firmware update they're really nice disks and well worth their price.

Message 61 of 65
gonegolfin
Aspirant

@pshadoko wrote:

Just to say that I finally obtain from support the ENASHDD-MakaraPlus-SATA_StdOEM-PNA2.LOD firmware.

The flash process worked on my ST8000NE0001-1WN112 with PN02 base firmware.

I used both windows executable and the linux boot usb disk and the two worked.

Hope it can help other people.

Salutations.

Hi David. I did finally receive a response from Seagate a few days ago. Several times I had inquired about them providing me the EntNASHDD-MakaraPlus-STD-SATA-512E-PNA2 firmware update that worked for cmassey ... and now seems to have worked for you. They finally sent me the following .LOD file ...

MPAED09B5.SDN9.BF0249.01099789.00493162.PNA2.TGTSFW.LOD

But it is unclear to me that this is the correct file ... that it is the same as EntNASHDD-MakaraPlus-STD-SATA-512E-PNA2. I suspect that it is, but have asked for confirmation and have not heard anything for the past week. I do not want to risk bricking my RAID array. If the above .LOD file is the same one that you used, please confirm.

Additionally, I was told that I need to use SeaChest to install. I had previously created a USB disk (older incorrect firmware) and assume the same process can be used with the correct .LOD file. But I would also be interested in trying SeaChest on my Windows VM if someone can point me to the correction version of this SeaChest software.

Thanks,

Brian

Message 62 of 65

I prefer WDC or HGST.

Message 63 of 65
pshadoko
Aspirant

Hi Brian, don't know if that lod file is the correct firmware because mine is named ENASHDD-MakaraPlus-SATA_StdOEM-PNA2.LOD

Logically in the same folder you have a .CFS file. If you boot from linux USB boot key you can type: #seaflashlin -c thenameofthecfsfile.CFS

The CFS file chek for compatible models on the system before trying to flash... So with this method : no risk to brick your drive.

You can either use seachest (windows exe) nor seaflashlin with linux usb boot key. I'have tried the two process and it worked. I preffer use the usb boot because I have a PC who dispose of only one sata power connector (but because I'm currious I have used a Y power connector to test seachest). Note that I flashed the two disks of a RAID1 volume with no data loss on Synology DS215 (I mean without backup). After a proper shutdown I begin to flash the first disk of my raid 1 to test If the RAID restart correctly. Everything OK. Then I flash the second closing my eyes and everything work in a relative silence now.

Best regards

Model: ReadyNAS Photos II|
Message 64 of 65
pshadoko
Aspirant

Yes. I'm ok with that because of hardware experiences.

But in France the support of Seagate seems to be more accessible (I can't say better because they give me firstly a bad firmware lol) . They have a Local phone number with low wait time, responsive and they are "open" because I tell us the firmware I need (thanks to participants of this thread) and they give me the firmware. Also for RMA, the process is much easyer than WD or HGST.

BUT Subject isn't "Avoid Seagate ST8000VN0002 - Horrible noise issue!"?

Message 65 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements