× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Degraded Drive Replacement Ready Nas 422

kvz1r
Aspirant

Degraded Drive Replacement Ready Nas 422

I have an Ready NAS  422  Firmware: 6.10.7 about 4 years old has been running with out issue for close to the entire four years - I recently stumbled across an error message on the Front LCD indicating that volume was degraded - and pulled the following from the warning  log showing disk 2 was having sector issues as far back as 8/2/22

Aug 02, 2022 12:36:50 AM

Disk: Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [752] on disk 2 (Internal) [ST6000NE0023-2EX110 ZAD68VKN] 12 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be

the error log also shows that the volume data health changed from redundant to Degraded

Aug 02, 2022 12:42:53 PM

Volume: Volume data health changed from Redundant to Degraded.

then finally the disk 2 went from online to failed

Aug 02, 2022 12:42:54 PM

Disk: Disk in channel 2 (Internal) changed state from ONLINE to FAILED.

I did not discover this until about Wednesday, September 21, 2022

I was in the middle of rewiring a PoE security system and let it go until I got the job finished two- three days ago.  The NAS has continued to run and data is  accessible,  however with the drive in drive 2 throwing a failed error I am sure my  redundancy is gone as disk to 2  is obviously bad. The DRIVES in the NAS are a pair of Seagate 6TB IronWolf Pro v11 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch NAS Hard Disk Drive (ST6000NE0023)'s   In looking at the NAS control panel the diagrams ares as shown below

kvz1r_1-1664235821601.png

kvz1r_2-1664236081415.png                                     kvz1r_3-1664236132755.png

I must say I am a bit miffed as to why the one Graphic indicates RAID 1 and the Main Graphiv from the top left indicates X RAID  but I digress I m not sure it matters of if it is in effect X RAID I really don't recall how I originally configured it .

I have ordered a replacement ST6000NE0023 to replace the failed disk 2 which appears by the graphic to be in slot 2 which I will confirm once I can get on a step ladder and open the Front Bay Cover to observe the LED's.

Biggest or most pertinent question is when I receive the new ST6000NE0023 can I simply remove the failed disk 2  ST6000NE0023  and Insert the new replacement ST6000NE0023 by doing a Hot Swap without Powering the NAS down then waiting for the new drive to be formatted and let the system configure and add it to the array ? Or do I need to power down the NAS ,  format the drive before adding inserting  in the NAS and the power it on and let it do what ever auto configuration it needs to do . I am going to back up or copy the 1.37 TB of  needed files /directories from the DATA Drive to an external USB drive before I begin the process as a precaution .

Can anyone confirm that I have the correct process outlined here  and if I do not what I should do differently to achieve success ?

Thanks in advance to all who respond to help an old man figure this out

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Degraded Drive Replacement Ready Nas 422

@kvz1r wrote:

Biggest or most pertinent question is when I receive the new ST6000NE0023 can I simply remove the failed disk 2  ST6000NE0023  and Insert the new replacement ST6000NE0023 by doing a Hot Swap without Powering the NAS down then waiting for the new drive to be formatted and let the system configure and add it to the array ? Or do I need to power down the NAS ,  format the drive before adding inserting  in the NAS and the power it on and let it do what ever auto configuration it needs to do .

Personally, I test new drives in a PC before putting them in a NAS- in this case I'd use seatools, and run both the long non-destructive diagnostic and the full erase test.

Whether you do that or not, I recommend hot-swapping it.  The NAS will then do a short drive test, format it, and then add it to the array.

Powering down and swapping it would also work.  But hot-swapping has the advantage that the NAS sees the disk removal and insertion, so there is no need for it to figure out what is going on.

@kvz1r wrote:

I am going to back up or copy the 1.37 TB of  needed files /directories from the DATA Drive to an external USB drive before I begin the process as a precaution .

Netgear recommends doing a backup first (and I concur).   If you don't have a regular backup plan in place for the NAS, I suggest taking care of that after you deal with the failed drive.

@kvz1r wrote:

I must say I am a bit miffed as to why the one Graphic indicates RAID 1 and the Main Graphiv from the top left indicates X RAID  but I digress I m not sure it matters of if it is in effect X RAID I really don't recall how I originally configured it .

X-RAID is application software that Netgear layers on top of standard RAID.  In your case, the system is set up to use RAID 1, and X-RAID is also enabled.

If X-RAID was not enabled, there would be no green stripe through the control.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
kvz1r
Aspirant

Simply a test to see if post was uploaded 😍

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@kvz1r wrote:

Biggest or most pertinent question is when I receive the new ST6000NE0023 can I simply remove the failed disk 2  ST6000NE0023  and Insert the new replacement ST6000NE0023 by doing a Hot Swap without Powering the NAS down then waiting for the new drive to be formatted and let the system configure and add it to the array ? Or do I need to power down the NAS ,  format the drive before adding inserting  in the NAS and the power it on and let it do what ever auto configuration it needs to do .

Personally, I test new drives in a PC before putting them in a NAS- in this case I'd use seatools, and run both the long non-destructive diagnostic and the full erase test.

Whether you do that or not, I recommend hot-swapping it.  The NAS will then do a short drive test, format it, and then add it to the array.

Powering down and swapping it would also work.  But hot-swapping has the advantage that the NAS sees the disk removal and insertion, so there is no need for it to figure out what is going on.

@kvz1r wrote:

I am going to back up or copy the 1.37 TB of  needed files /directories from the DATA Drive to an external USB drive before I begin the process as a precaution .

Netgear recommends doing a backup first (and I concur).   If you don't have a regular backup plan in place for the NAS, I suggest taking care of that after you deal with the failed drive.

@kvz1r wrote:

X-RAID is application software that Netgear layers on top of standard RAID.  In your case, the system is set up to use RAID 1, and X-RAID is also enabled.

If X-RAID was not enabled, there would be no green stripe through the control.

Message 3 of 4
kvz1r
Aspirant

Stephen B Thank you so much for the confirmation and pointers I can soon proceed with confidence You were a big help ! Thanks again 😊

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements