× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to download torrent files onto the RN10400

denaus50
Aspirant

How to download torrent files onto the RN10400

I am totally new to NAS. I am used to downloading video direct to my pc and extedened HD. But I really need help in how to download directly onto my RN10400. It houses 2. 4gb WD Reds.

I can't seem to get my head around how to do this and would appreciate any assistance greatly.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to download torrent files onto the RN10400

Not quite sure I understand what you are wanting to do.

Are you wanting to copy the videos to the NAS after the torrent completes?  Or something else?

Message 2 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello denaus50,

Are you trying to get movies downloaded and stored to the NAS from via torrent client? ReadyNAS has some torrent client apps such Qbittorrent and Utorrent that you can use to download movies.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 3 of 10
denaus50
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thanks for your response. What I'm used to doing is downloading movies using Utorrent onto my pc and streaming them onto my TV. I thought this would be straightforward with the RN10400 but I am at a loss as to how this can happen. I got the RN110400 thinking I could point to the Netgear directory and have an immediate download saved there and stream. 

Much more complicated than I thought.

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

DenAus50

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

One option (suggested already by JennC) is to run utorrent or tranmission on the NAS itself.

A second is configure the utorrent app on the PC to move the completed downloads to a share on the network drive.  You can certainly do this by mapping the share to a PC drive letter.  Though I think you can also configure utorrent to do this directly, by using \\nasname\sharename in the configuration ("move completed torrents to...").

Message 5 of 10
denaus50
Aspirant

Hi JennC

Thank you so much for responding.

Yes, that is what I'm wanting to do. If I use Utorrent, will that dowload the file (.mkv etc) as is so I can then stream direct to my TV. Basically I need to have a "how to" for downloading and for streaming.

I am used to downloading to my pc and then transferring onto portable HD and playing through my AC Ryan media player connected to my smart tv.

Thanks again!

DenAus

Message 6 of 10
denaus50
Aspirant

Thanks, will try StephenB!

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@denaus50 wrote:

I am used to downloading to my pc and then transferring onto portable HD and playing through my AC Ryan media player connected to my smart tv.

Is this one of their android players?  Perhaps let us know the model.

Message 8 of 10
denaus50
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

As I have a smart TV with DLNA, I am hoping to use the 10400 to stream instead of using the AC Ryan (which isn't android)

Thanks

Denaus50

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

There are two DLNA options.  ReadyDLNA is built in, so you can just enable it on a media share and see how it works with the TV.

Plex is also available, you download it from plex.tv and install it on NAS through the settings->manual install control.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements