× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS RN202 will not boot up.

Dorsetboy72
Aspirant

NAS RN202 will not boot up.

Hi

I have a RN202 with 2 x 3Tb WD drives. I use a MacBook Pro

I received various messages from the NAS as follows.

Volume data health changed from Inactive to Redundant.

then

Less than 5% of volume data's capacity is free. data's performance is degraded and you risk running out of usable space. To improve performance and stability, you Must add capacity or make free space.

then
Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connection.

then
Antivirus scanner found a threat (Heuristics.Broken.Executable) in the file /var/cores/core-smbd. Please delete the infected file soon.

then
Volume data health changed from Inactive to Redundant.

The NAS now sits there with blue light blinking and is not visible on the Raidar app , It will not switch off using the button.
The drives are only 20% full.
Help Dont know what to do !

Dave
Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS RN202 will not boot up.

Do you have a backup?

The inactive->redundant messages are concerning.

The 5% capacity error isn't consistent with the 20% full also.

If the unit is not reponsive, you'll need to risk pulling out the plug.  I suggest booting it read-only, for extra safety.  Instructions on how to do that are on pages 35-37 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

If it boots and the data is accessible, then you should make sure you have an up to date back up before doing anything else.

Message 2 of 11
Dorsetboy72
Aspirant

HI

Thanks for the reply , I have booted up in read only mode and to start with it appeared on Raidar with the status , in orange, "System start up, then it disappeared , then reappeared but now has gone again.

the power light is flashing , the small "Act" light also flashing and the drive lights steady blue.

I booted it up at about 9:30 this morning and its 11.00 , not sure where in the world you are LoL 

Any ideas ?

regards

Dave

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Dorsetboy72 wrote:

not sure where in the world you are LoL 

Northeast US (Eastern US time zone).

@Dorsetboy72 wrote:

Any ideas ?

Try powering down the NAS, and remove the disks (labeling by slot).  Power up, and see if RAIDar reports a no disks status.

If it does, then try powering down again, and inserting just disk 2 in slot 2.  Power up, and see if that boots read-only (with a degraded volume status).  If it does, then I recommend backing up your data before proceeding further.

If the single disk test also fails, then power down again, and install both disks in their original slots. Next try an OS reinstall.  Assuming that works, it will also

• reset the NAS admin password to password
  • reset the NAS network config to use DHCP
  • turn off volume quota (on the volume settings page)

Message 4 of 11
Dorsetboy72
Aspirant

Hi

I went through what you said and eventually got to OS reinstall , which i did but have no back up so chancing my arm !

Now I have the Raidar screen up at last , it says it is synicing 0% complete, disc 1 has circling arrow sysimbal and disc 2 is green .

had email "Volume data is Degraded."]

then shutting down , but it didnt

Volume data is Degraded

then  

Resyncing started for Volume data.

then system is shutting but again it didnt

I cant get to NAS admin page yet

SO does this mean one disc is faulty ?

Do I  let it carry on

regards

Dave

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Dorsetboy72 wrote:

SO does this mean one disc is faulty ?

Do I  let it carry on

It could be failing disk.  

Personally I wouldn't let it carry on.  I'd power up with only one disk (still read-only), and then run the disk test from the volume menu.

@Dorsetboy72 wrote:

but have no back up so chancing

It's a big chance you are taking, you could easily lose all the data if you let the resync continue.

@Dorsetboy72 wrote:

then system is shutting but again it didnt

Not sure why that is the case.  Is the system on a power schedule?  Scheduled shutdowns do check for a resync in progress, and will hold off the shutdown when one is running.

Message 6 of 11
Dorsetboy72
Aspirant

HI

I didnt let it carry on.

I rebooted with disc 2 in and apart from it told me the disc degraded it seemed ok and i cold get to the files

so i shutdown and rebooted with disc 1 in 

Raidar screen says "Volume data -0 RAID Level 1 inactive 2.7TB (100% of 2.7TB used) 

Also got this message on loading admin page

"ReadyNAS failed to boot successfully.
ReadyNAS detected that the installed disks contain an existing
ReadyNAS installation that failed to start properly.
If the disks do not contain critical data, you can format the disks from the
Volumes tab under System once you've completed the installation wizard.
If the disks contain critical data, follow these steps to address data accessibility:
Reboot the ReadyNAS and confirm if the ReadyNAS successfully boots.
Attempt an OS Reinstall, which applies fixes only to the operating system and does not
affect any data volume."
Note: Your ReadyNAS's network interface defaults to DHCP and the admin password
defaults to password,
Boot into read-only mode from your ReadyNAS's boot menu. Doing so will mount your
volume read-only, making data recoverable.
For further discussion, visit our community.
Suggestions

O Know get a back up disc !

if I get one how do i back (never done on this NAS) and presumably it would disc 2 , then could try to recover disc 1 as you suggest run disc test 

Thanks for "holding my hand" on this , Im getting on a bit now (71 years old) and due to everthing working ok for quite a while ive got out of the habit doing IT jobs LoL

Thanks  Dave

Message 7 of 11
Dorsetboy72
Aspirant

Hi

Im not sure if this is repeating as i seemed to have lost my reply to you !

I didnt let it carry on.

I put in disc 2 this booted up and apart from telling me volume is degraded it seems ok and i could acccess the files 

So i took out disc 2 and put in disc 1 

Raidar screen says " Volume data -0 RAID 1 , inactive 2.7TB (100%) of 2.7 used.

I then tried to go in the admin screen and got this message 

"ReadyNAS failed to boot successfully.
ReadyNAS detected that the installed disks contain an existing
ReadyNAS installation that failed to start properly.
If the disks do not contain critical data, you can format the disks from the
Volumes tab under System once you've completed the installation wizard.
If the disks contain critical data, follow these steps to address data accessibility:
Reboot the ReadyNAS and confirm if the ReadyNAS successfully boots.
Attempt an OS Reinstall, which applies fixes only to the operating system and does not
affect any data volume.
Note: Your ReadyNAS's network interface defaults to DHCP and the admin password
defaults to password,
Boot into read-only mode from your ReadyNAS's boot menu. Doing so will mount your
volume read-only, making data recoverable.
For further discussion, visit our community.
Continue"

So if I get a back up usb disc how do i back up presumbly Disc 2 and as you suggest do a disc test on both disc s I presume and replace if I cant recover the discs .

Thanks for holding my hand over this , im not so young now (71) and have had quite a while of no problems so have got out of the habit of put things right LoL

Thanks Dave

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

It sounds like the issue is with disk 1.  That makes sense, because the NAS will boot from that disk if it is installed.

One option is just to purchase a replacement disk.  Seagate Ironwolf and WDC Red Plus drives are good choices (avoid the current WDC Red drives).  You'd boot up with disk 2 (bay 1 empty) and hot-insert the replacement.

Another option is to test disk 1 in a PC first.  You'd need to connect it using either SATA or (more likely) with a usb adapter/dock.  The PC won't recognize the file system, so you won't see it in the File Explorer pane.  But the vendor tools can find it (if they can't, just replace it). 

For Seagate, download Seatools.  For Western Digital, you can either use their dashboard Doftware or the older Lifeguard software. Start with the full read test, and follow up with the destructive "write zeros" or "erase disk" test.  Both will take some hours.  If both tests pass, you can treat the disk as new - hot inserting it as described above.

For backup, the simplest approach is to purchase a USB drive.  You can connect it directly to the NAS and set up a backup job in the admin web ui.  

Message 9 of 11
Dorsetboy72
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for your reply,

The current disc(s) are WD Red , so I was looking at Seagate IronWolf as their seemed to be alot of issues with the WD red currently. 

I think I will get a USB backup disc 1st then I have the time to check out the other disc with out too much chance of loosing all my data .

Thank you for your help its been great , made me think computer stuff again instead of building work that i have been doing  LoL 

regards

Dave

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Dorsetboy72 wrote:

The current disc(s) are WD Red , so I was looking at Seagate IronWolf as their seemed to be alot of issues with the WD red currently. 

IronWolf is a good choice.

WD Red Plus are also good, but I don't recommend the current WD Reds.  Note they rebranded, your current WD disks have almost certainly been rebranded as Red Plus.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements